The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring vs. The Matrix

21 comments

11 comments

WHAT! How can I possible chooose?! After a brief meditation, LOTR is honestly closer to my heart. So, FOTR.

Oh c'mon, why, Flickchart, WHY? Um... I'm gonna go with coolness PLUS Oscar cred.

This showdown gives me pause. The Matrix blew my mind in the theater, but so did the Fellowship of the Rings. They were both revelations about filmmaking, with exciting production design, special effects, technological advancements and amazing talents. I've watched both of them dozens of times and love them more with each viewing. This is a Sophie's Choice situation. Yikes.... I'm going to go with Lord of the Rings, but if you ask me again in 10 minutes I might go the other way.

Props to The Matrix; it's a Top 20 film on my Flickchart. It was a total game-changer. But The Fellowship of the Ring is my #1, and I cannot forsee that changing any time soon.

That's a tough one. Both groundbreaking, but Fellowship gets it by a nose.

LOTR wins for me. I just like it way more.

Personally, no contest, The Matrix gets my vote. It's the kind of story that I tend to enjoy much more than any of the LOTR flicks. The fights and visuals left my jaw on the floor; LOTR, not so much.

Both are have actors giving earnest performances reciting silly dialogue in even sillier costumes. The difference is that JRR Tolkein is a great writer, and the Wachoskis are hacks at best. Their stabs at "philosophy" are truly embarrassing.

JRM
JRM

Last I checked they're in my top 30ish. Which one do I like more, though? Hmm. For now I'll give it to LOTR.

Matrix. On the whole, the LOTR trilogy is obviously much better than the Matrix trilogy. But the Matrix is the best individual film of the lot; also, it has the better Hugo Weaving role

LotR was always part of my life in book-form. To see such a brilliant adaption for the big screen was just fantastic.

I cannot decide. Both are my favoruite films

The Matrix has been somewhat ruined for me because of the sequels, whereas Fellowship is the best of the Rings and they're all awesome. Any LOTR over any Matrix.

the matrix is overated as hell in my opnion. no match to LOTR

Whilst 'the Matrix' is a totally mind blowing film, so is 'The Fellowship of the Ring'. The Fellowship is a more enjoyable experience to me, though both films are amazing and the FOTR was a better start to much better franchise.

LOTR still!

#1 vs #5..Fellowship all the way

Lord of the rings all the way

Slight, ever so slight lean to The Matrix...

Lord of the Rings is just too epic.

Lord of the Rings beats The Matrix.

My 300th ranking! Fellowship. but not by very much, It's my favorite Lord of the Rings film. But The Matrix is one of my personal favorite films of all time. As is Fellowship, so it gets the win slightly by a hair.

matrix i think

Matrix was outstanding. It's top 30 on my chart, but FOTR is just on a higher plane. Everything about FOTR is just epic. Don't get me wrong: this is indeed a cool matchup, but FOTR is clearly the winner for me.

This isn't hard. The Matrix is very cool but not groundbreaking, it used sfx to tell a story while also using slow motion in fight scenes. I suppose that was unique for the time but in regards of story or filmmaking The Matrix didn't revolutionize anything. Lord Of The Rings is a masterpiece, period.

The Matrix easily

LOTR Fellowship is my #2 film and for now it still is

Matrix is overrated...

FOTR was like The Matrix for fantasy movies. It defined the genre and set the bar really high. But I am going to have to go with FOTR. Matrix was cool though but FOTR for now, "is the One."

I can't choose, they're both Epic.

LOTR is only a whole other level. Fellowship wins for me,

I agree. The Fellowship of the Ring wins here.

mmm dunno i'll go with the matrix

LotR: Fellowship is far the best, Matrix is barely gets annoying worst it is, considering more of a dumb cartoonish movie ever and as furthermore as more worst as it came of the crap garbage sequels ever and as LotR thumps any of the matrix is..

HUGE MATRIX FAN but Fellowship is a different level. Fellowship just too much story, depth, great characters and emotions fellowship wins easily. I did prefer the M over the TTT