Paths of Glory vs. There Will Be Blood

8 comments

7 comments

Paths of GLory is one of the Best war movies ever made.

^Yes it is. But it's facing off against THERE WILL BE BLOOD, so I think it loses here.

Paths of Glory FTW!!!

Kirk Douglas was fantastic in Paths of Glory, but he ain't no Daniel Day-Lewis.

Paths of Glory is one of Stanley Kubrick's more watchable films and, yet, it still loses to Daniel Plainview. Drainage!

I'll go with TWBB...but it's pretty much neck and neck....

Both are masterpieces but this one must go to TWBB

Paths of Glory! Glad I finally got around to seeing it!

"Paths of Glory" is the best film about war. It's also incredibly re-watchable, compact, impossible to turn off and gets better on every repeated viewing. The last scene is the greatest last scene ever and could stand on its own as one of the pinnacles of short films.

Love both but it's gotta be Blood.

There Will Be Blood

Paths of Glory is a great movie but it's just too short and has only one small arc in the film before it's over. There Will Be Blood is the drama masterpiece of the 2000s with a larger exploration of man.

both excellent, paths of glory is near perfection, but i prefer there will be blood

Close, but Paths of Glory is the better indictment of our wretched species.

Love them both so much. There Will Be Blood is just a marvelous showcase for Day-Lewis's acting, giving arguably my favorite Oscar-winning performance just for his dedication and commanding vocal control (it's either him or Anthony Hopkins as Lecter as my favorite), but it also has some stunning cinematography, a great supporting performance from Paul Dano, and one of the most shocking (well, maybe not so much if you think about it) powerful endings to any movie of this century so far. That said, Paths of Glory is so compact and chock-full of tragic characterizations and situations of war with one of the most unlikable antagonists EVER, heavy themes on the injustices of manipulative courts led by officers to only look out for themselves that never fail to hit me like a bag of bricks, a great lead performance from Kirk Douglas, some of the most sobering sequences I've seen in any war film, but also arguably the most cathartic, bittersweet ending I've seen to any movie period! I can't stress enough how great of a film TWBB is, but in this case, I'd prefer the more emotional film that has stuck with me for years and on re-watches. Paths of Glory wins this one for me.

AlgorithmJMO explained this matchup perfectly.