The Good, the Bad and the Ugly vs. Seven Samurai

22 comments

21 comments

The Good The Bad and The Ugly is without a doubt the best western of all time hands down, and I love westerns as a genre. The Seven Samurai however is probably one of the best movies of all time. Hell the magnificent seven was an excellent western at least 9/10 and that's based entirely off of Kurosawa's Masterpiece.

Wow, what a decision. I watched Seven Samurai again recently ans it's still one of the best movies I've ever seen. But....this time I'm choosing Leone over Kurosawa for the trio of Eastwood, Wallach and Van Cleef as the good, bad and frickin' eeevil. Also the cemetery scene is awesome.

Never saw what was so great about The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Seven Samurai all the way!

I think im going with The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. VERY close though.

I'm stuck, one of these will be number 2, one will be number one

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

i fucking hate Seven Samurai. this is insulting

Definitely one of my tougher match-ups.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is superior for me.

This is why I don't really buy into the idea of "genre films" vs, uh, non-genre films. Both these movies put entertainment first and foremost, and yet if you ask a lot of people which is better, they'll say something snide about how GBU is "just a western".

This is so difficult! I'm usually not that into neither western nor "war"-movies, which is one of the reasons both of these movies feels so special to me, since I really loved both of them so much! Think I'll have to go with the Samurais...

Both of these films exhibit what perfect buildup and a captivating climax looks like. With Seven Samurai, it was the last battle in the rain and with TGTBATU, it was the showdown at the cemetery. Kurosawa's film gets the win, but Leone's picture is one hell of a movie!

I actually found the final showdown in Seven Samurai to be underwhelming. Most everything that preceded it, however, was great. It's one of the finest foreign language films ever made, that's for sure. I can't pick it over The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, though. That movie is nearly perfect.

Did not get into The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly on my first viewing. Maybe I'll see it again and change my opinion but for now Seven Samurai gets my vote.

*Seven Samurai

Caesar was perfect in his judging of the film. Some parts of the climax were disappointingly handled....I personally enjoyed Yojimbo a lot more than Seven

Woops! Seven Samurai was good, possibly a 7/10 but the Good the bad and the Ugly is just one of the greatest movies ever made, not to say Seven Samurai isn't, but GBU easy for me.

The Good the bad and the Ugly

I would have chosen Seven Samurai, but my last viewing of GBU confirmed it's earned spot in my top 20. Seven Samurai is the better and most influential movie but I love The Good, the Bad and the Ugly much, much more. Also they both have amazing cinematography and great characters.

Samurai

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly wins this matchup and its not even close for me.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly wins!

Seven Samurai>GBU

Yeah the best western vs the better samurai, and even I totalty really like GBU one all time my favorites

Seven Samurai. Akira Kurosawa > Sergio Leone

I got Leone on this one...

TGTBATU wins.

Good, Bad, Ugly easly beats Seven Samurai

Seven Samurai

GBU

Clinton Eastwood, Jr.

TGTBATU for me.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. One of my favorites.

Both are two of the best movies ever created and are masterpieces, they are both in a league on their own...But if I had to choose one, it would be The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly may be the greatest Spaghetti Western, but edge goes to Akira Kurosawa's magnum opus

Both are absolute artistic masterpieces, and both easily make the top 50 films ever, and perhaps even top 25. However, Kurosawa's epic magnum opus takes the cake in this battle (and probably almost every other battle, aso well).

It's like choosing your favorite child,but seven samurai is slightly better

Two great movies. I don't know if it's the novelty of the subtitles or if it's just my love for jidaigeki, but I think those old samurai movies age better than classic westerns.

Seven

Seven Samurai just barely

Seven Samurai , it’s rlly close tho

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is an absolutely amazing movie with memorable character, stunning cinematography, and one of the best final showdowns ever put to the screen. Unfortunately, it just doesn't compare to Akira Kurosawa's masterpiece

Maybe it’s just because I saw the extended version, but honestly I didn’t enjoy the good the bad and the ugly as much as I thought I would. For now it’s seven samurai but that could change.

Seven Samurai by a mile.

Okay, after rewatching both I can officially say that seven samurai is the better movie by an extremely small margin. It's a close one, but I think that SS has a better ending. GBU is absolutely outstanding, however.