The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy vs. Moon

0 comments

4 comments

Movies 'bout spacemen starring Sam Rockwell. Hitchhiker's Guide is criminally underrated, but yeah, Moon lives up to alllllll it's hype. It's damn good, and Sam gives his best performance(s) in it.

Moon is infinitely better.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is mildly fun for a while, but it eventually collapses under the weight of its own try-too-hard nuttiness. Moon is simply the better film.

Echoing Honest and Caesar, while I certainly don't think Hitchhiker's Guide is as bad as a lot of the book's fans make it out to be (speaking as someone who didn't read the book myself, judging it strictly on it's own merits), I think it's a fun, quirky, idiosyncratic film that succeeds in sticking in the mind on the basis of how weird it is, but at the same time still feels somewhat sanitised and ultimately never achieves anything other than being decent. Moon on the other hand is an excellent, utterly compelling film which actually made me appreciate Sam Rockwell as a genuinely gifted actor and not just a quirky Jim Carrey knock-off (which was the impression which I sort of gained watching Hitchhiker's Guide and Iron Man 2).