Taxi Driver vs. The Killer

4 comments

2 comments

on 4/20/2012

You can definitely see some of Scorsese's influence in The Killer. In fact, I think I remember Woo dedicating the film to Scorsese and Melville on the commentary. Anyway, both of these are about men embarking on extremely violent missions. One guy meets his end through his mission, and the other lives on, though we don't know for how long. (I don't buy into the whole "Bickle dies at the end" theory.) Both of them become heroes through their violent actions, though the title is an ironic one for Travis. They're both fascinating characters, for different reasons. Ah Jong for his righteousness, Travis for...being Travis. In the end, it's a close one, but I prefer to pick Travis' brain.

on 9/15/2012

In a moment of John Woo/general HK weakness, I pick the less subtle, less well made and less artistically oriented film.

on 9/15/2012

I can't really fault you for your choice. Love The Killer and I've always been attracted to Woo's black-and-white morality. It's just that sometimes, I'm not in the mood for it, whereas I can always watch Taxi Driver. Doesn't matter what mood I'm in.

on 5/13/2014

I think...I might change my mind.

on 5/19/2014

Definitely Taxi Driver for me.

on 5/25/2014

TD by a long shott

on 6/10/2017

Taxi Driver has more substance, but edge to the bullet ballet