Australia vs. The Duchess

1 comments

1 comments

With Baz Luhrmann, it seems like the actors in his movies exist primarily as obnoxious behavior delivery agents. Visually, I like his films, but his brand of style over substance has always managed to get on my nerves. The Duchess is an entertaining soap opera, and a good showcase for Keira Knightley in period garb. Australia is a mess of a movie that fails to resolve any of its plotlines in a satisfying manner, and is just really annoying in general.

"Luhrmannly Retarded" is a thing, right? Anyway, I will be taking up a collection on behalf of Baz. If we all pitch in we should be able to buy him some testicles.

Australia is about too many things whereas The Duchess isn't about enough. Australia feels like two or three or ten different movies smashed together, or maybe an epic miniseries that got trapped in the body of a 3 hour movie. On the other hand, The Duchess claims to be about one of the most influential women of her time, and yet refuses to show any of her influence, instead focusing on a soap operaish love quadrangle. Australia is rather soapy itself, but at least it has a touch of classic Hollywood to it ... and a very swoony Hugh Jackman. The Duchess is depressing as hell.