The Dark Knight vs. 2001: A Space Odyssey

28 comments

35 comments

NOOOOOOOOOOO

Definitely going with 2001 here. TDK was way overrated.

well, depending on who you ask, the "overrated" label is bound to be thrown around aggresively for both of these movies. Also, depending on who you ask, you're bound to hear a lengthy, passionate argument as to why both movies are masterpieces. With The Dark Knight, the philosophical meaning of the movie could be seen as a bit too heavyhanded and intrusive to the flow of the story. There's too much going on. 2001: A Space Odyssey, on the other hand, could be viewed as being too elusive with its meaning (even though many people could talk for hours about how deep it all is). Or, that there's not enough going on. Personally, I enjoy 2001 more for the mood and visual experience than for what it's all about. The Dark Knight, though, despite it being a bit overloaded, is a more entertaining motion picture. I don't think either movie is as great as some might claim, but I like both of them. Both are worth investing 2 1/2 hours of my time, but I'm willing to do it more often with The Dark Knight.

I´m agrreing on the TDK is overrated thing.

As over-rated as The Dark Knight is, at least it doesn't have what feels like 20 minutes of just colours.

I'm with Andrew, this is a tough one. Ultimately gave it to 2001, because I can't help but love a movie that summarizes humanity's rise from primordial ape-monsters to ultimate consciousness. Also HAL forever. Still love ya, DK!

I ultimately love both of these films. And they are in my top 20. But I must go with The Dark Knight, more story involved, better acting and entertainment.

The Dark Knight has an unforgettable performance from Ledger, and a generally solid story to go with it, but the pacing is just off, and when the Joker isn't on the screen, interest dwindles. 2001 is just perfect though, from beginning to end.

I love TDK, but this isn't even close. 2001 FTW.

The Dark Knight. I always had mixed feelings about 2001. It has some of the best visuals and cinematography ever, a fantastic score and a memorable 'villain', the HAL 9000. But it's also very boring. Nothing really happens in the movie, which is the main reason I don't like other artsy movies like this one. And also, everything in the movie could have a meaning (for example the space baby and the monolith), but if many people have different interpretations of those elements in the movie, isn't the movie in a way pretentious? I'm not trying to offend anyone, I don't hate the movie, but I don't particularly like it either. It's just confusing.

2001: A Space Odyssey. Seeing it is an experience I will never forget as long as I live. It took me to a whole other state of mind. The Dark Knight is pretty damn memorable too, but few movies can top Kubrick's masterpiece in my book. @MysticSpoon, I can see why 2001 may come across as pretentious, but I think its ambiguity is the main reason why it is so timeless.

Yeah @JRyneChattanooga, it's more of an experience in my eyes than a movie. And you make a valid point: the ambiguity of it can be studied and be discussed about and makes the movie, in a way, timeless. So I do know why people love the movie, however I do not myself. But hey, different tastes, different movies.

Yeah. To each their own. I will admit that I avoid watching 2001 because seeing it the first time was so special and I don't want my opinion to change. There's no doubt that it is a great movie, but I think over familiarizing myself with it could diminish some of its magic in my eyes. By contrast, The Dark Knight is compulsively watchable and I've seen it multiple times.

How can I choose between The Dark Knight and 2001: A Space Odyssey ?

Two great films, two memorable villains. It's close, but I'll go with the Dark Knight with its more memorable cast.

The Dark Knight it is. I'm not a massive TDK supporter, but I think it wins handily here.

I just watched 2001 for the first time last night, and i'll tell ya, it's only good the first time you watch it I think, it was good but I could probably not watch it again. The Dark Knight, and I do believe it is a little overrated but I can rewatch it more than 2001

SquareMaster316, was the villain in 2001, HAL 9000? Some I didn't understand the film but it was good

I'll go with the film that was actually entertaining. Not a tough choice at all.

TDK by far.

I can't believe that this is even a debate, much less that 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (a serious contender for the greatest film ever made and the most iconic film by America's greatest filmmaker) is actually losing to a movie about a guy in a cape. More adults need to read books without pictures.

WTF flickchart?

Is cinema art or entertainment? This matchup, more than most, elicits such a question to be asked. To me, movies are entertainment...and not much more. I mean, seriously, isn't calling cinema an art form a bit like calling a bowler an athlete? You really have to stretch the definition of the word to make it fit. That's why so many here, myself included, see The Dark Knight as the better film. It's simply more entertaining. Sure, one could say that we are merely a bunch of mouth-breathing dolts who are easily dazzled by "a guy in a cape." However, one could just as easily say that anybody who goes to a movie to get their artistic and cultural nourishment is somebody who desperately needs to read more "books without pictures." In the end, it's hardly an injustice that The Dark Knight is currently doing so well in this matchup; it's a damn entertaining film and, to many, that's what really matters. End of rambling mess.

"Is cinema art or entertainment?" Well, it's both, really. And I don't think it's really a stretch. I don't see how one could argue that it's NOT an art form.

For our purposes 'Art' (without embroiling ourselves in defining its various subdivisions) is entertainment. I also don't see how one could argue that cinema is NOT an art form. I too dig movies about silly dudes in silly capes, but will nevertheless concede that more adults should learn to read or, failing that, should resist the urge to voice their opinions. Anyway, I side with Batsy.

Eh, I don't know, I suppose it's all an "eye of the beholder" type of thing. The gist of what I was trying to say, though, was that there's more than one optic through which one can look at a film's quality; hence The Dark Knight could legitimately be viewed as better than 2001: A Space Odyssey, even though it may not be as conventionally "artistic" as Stanley Kubrick's film.

TDK is arguably a better movie about Batman than 2001, I'll give it that.

LMFAO!

Oh yeah, I totally agree with you on that point. If you find The Dark Knight to be the better of the two, have at it. I haven't even seen 2001 yet, I was just trying to make a point.

It's an insult to movie-making at large to chose TKD over 2001. Christian Bale's voice for Batman was very cheesy and annoying. 2001 is the greatest sci-fi film ever made. End of story. 2001 wins.

I find 2001 more entertaining.

I am going to go with 2001 for its rewatch value and light entertainment.

Anyone else with me?

The Dark Knight wins...... for now.

Dark Knight's brilliant, but this is going way too far.

No contest here. The Dark Knight is far better.

If I was one to think Stephen King was a better writer or even more entertaining than William Shakespeare I imagine I might prefer "The Dark Knight" to "2001: A Space Odyssey". I still hope I would not. No disrespect to King or Nolan's blockbuster but Kubrick's masterpiece is as great as anything ever created by man. I'll admit though to having seen 2001 50 times or more and TDK only once.

This is making me choose between my favorite movie and what I think is the best movie. I absolutely love The Dark Knight and I think that it is my favorite movie of all time. I think that the best film ever made is 2001: A Space Odyssey from all the aspects and influence that it has done. 2001: A Space Odyssey is a better movie, but The Dark Knight is a movie I like more.

2001 all the way. TDK is a good film, but it's not a masterpiece like 2001 though.

For all its pioneering technical wizardry, iconic music/visual set-pieces and rich thematic symbolism, 2001 was a chore to sit through. TDK is a classical example of having your cake and eating it, a filmmaking tour-de-force and entertainment marvel in one. While it isn't up there in my top 20 and I don't share the view of calling it "the best film EVAAAARRRR!" like every internet fanboy and his dog, it's still my favourite superhero film of all time. It's not that I dislike 2001; I'd be willing to give it another viewing, but not before watching TDK 100 times more. TDK wins.

2001 wins easily. TDK is okay but it's no masterpiece.

2001 wins easily. TDK is okay but it's no masterpiece.

It may not be as aesthetically pleasing, historically significant or visually groundbreaking though I would probably always pick The Dark Knight though re-watching 2001 A Space Odyssey yesterday was a far more enjoyable experience though I am still left puzzled to some of the stuff in the film.

The Dark Knight is a near-masterpiece,but its not close to 2001.

Sorry Batman,2001 beat's you.

I love The Dark Knight, but it can't beat 2001.

omg.... 2001 wins...

I cannot believe we as movielovers have gone to point of placing dark knight above 2001...

2001 for sure

2001 is a terrible joke of a movie.

Before I watched 2001 I saw it on a lot of top 100 of all time lists, that tainted it for me because I was expecting greatness and got a boring movie with a couple moments that were good. The dark knight features on of the greatest performances ever put on screen, and is far superior in every positive aspect possible. While 2001 is abundant in things wrong with the movie.

I'll go with the masterpiece

hambone88 lol

TDK is not overrated by any means, but 2001 is probably one of if not the greatest film ever made.

TDK easy. If anything is overrated is has to be 2001.

Both are masterpieces and two of the greatest movies of all time, but I guess I have to choose one...I'll go with The Dark Knight.

Both movies are masterpieces of two different genres. TDK is one of if not the greatest superhero movie while 2001 is one of if not the greatest science fiction movie. For me I would give 2001 the slight edge because it deals with so many ideas about human evolution, while TDK is more about the darker side of justice and how it can make matters worse and features the terrific performance by Heath Ledger as the Joker who is by far the best incarnation of the villain we've seen so far.

2001 is my #3 right now, the dark knight is great but nothing too special

HAL > Joker

2001 is far greater cinema classic and while it beats the entire crap out of the dark knight.

2001 is great but the dark knight summons the far greater motion film.

Two masterpieces, But The Space One is Legendary.

lol cxfate be arguing with himself

2001 changed me forever. I hated it when I first saw it but now years later it feels so profound and powerful. Honestly it's more than a movie to me. I hate to be that guy, but this really is an experience. TDK is one of my favorite crime dramas, but it can't beat 2001.

2001 is an extremely very very very overated, even for me it is the worst movie of all time whereas tdk is a masterpiece with an extraordinary performance of ledger so its easily....

2001: A Space Odyssey and The Dark Knight are at the far opposite ends of the cinema spectrum. They define two different parts of cinema. 2001 is art, TDK is entertainment. 2001 is a film, TDK is a movie. 2001 is educational, TDK is entertaining. 2001 is more technically brilliant, more influential/innovative, better directed, better written, better shot, better composed, better themes. TDK is more entertaining, more rewatchable, more accessible, better acted, better paced, better story, better characters. They are around the same length. They are 40 years apart. 2001 is a better film, I love TDK more. 2001 wins because it is much more important and memorable to science fiction and cinema as a whole.

2001: A Space Odyssey (

This is not at all a close battle. 2001 absolutely wins here