The Apartment vs. Some Like It Hot

6 comments

0 comments

Its very hard to choose betweeen these two masterful films, Some Like it Hot is a wonderfully absurd comedy that is just so funny through and through. The Apartment is a commentary on modern life, the pitfalls of the rat race and yet is very funny. The Apartment wins by a very very small margin.

Both movies are Billy Wilder classics, and both star Jack Lemmon. While he received Best Actor Oscar nominations for both films, Lemmon's Some Like It Hot performance is the better of the two. The manic nervousness he brings to both of his roles seems to fit his Some Like It Hot character better. I actually wish he would've dialed it back a bit in The Apartment and played it more low-key. As far as the lead actresses go, Shirley MacLaine is far better in her role than Marilyn Monroe is in hers. Monroe just isn't much of an actress, and her looks aren't good enough to compensate (despite her reputation as a sex symbol). So, in the end, the acting in both films is about equal, in terms of quality. The same goes for the writing and directing. So I guess this matchup all comes down to which movie had the better story to tell. And that's where The Apartment separates itself from Some Like It Hot. It has a story that could work just as well today as it did when it was first released. The same can't really be said about Some Like It Hot. So, while it was a close battle, The Apartment wins this matchup.

Both are fantastic films from Billy Wilder. Slight edge goes to The Apartment.

The Apartment....easy choice for me.

Love each of Wilder's Big 4. The Apartment would have the edge here for me here, storywise, actingwise, Jack Lemmon-wise.

The Apartment is just more well-written and it also features the better Jack Lemmon performance. Some Like It Hot is a great film but it can't measure up to The Apartment in my opinion.