Frankenstein vs. Five Deadly Venoms

0 comments

3 comments

These two are both considered classics. But if I'm being honest, I found the both of them disappointing. I liked the Dr.'s chat about people thinking you're a loon if you dream big, but the movie drifts away from that and I found myself kinda bored because of it. The Venom Mob has seen better days, but I'll still take their movie's blend of mystery and Fu over Frankenstein. I know, blasphemy.

I think the venoms in general are sorta overrated. I'm always a bit suspicious that there was ever really a market that was obsessed enough to go see anything they slapped "venoms" onto, but apparently there was. Anyway, I do like this movie, even though it's sort of lower key Shaws stuff, for all its notoriety. Frankenstein is the best old Universal monster movie from what I've seen, but for the most part I don't care about horror film's larval stage.

I don't agree, but I can see why you'd think that. They aren't for everybody. I like finding out who's on what side and then I get to enjoy the chaos that ensues. They're like Shakespeare, in a way. Everybody dies at the end. They're a lot more likable than most of their contemporaries were and the acrobatics and fight scenes were incredible. After you watch a million kung fu movies, you sometimes catch yourself getting bored between fight scenes because of how familiar everything is. That never happens when I'm watch a Venoms movie, so they get a "thumbs up" from me. Good shit. Well, this one was just "okay shit", but you get what I mean.