The Adventures of Tintin vs. Rango

2 comments

3 comments

Rango is more interesting. Tintin is more fun. These have found themselves side-by-side on my Flickchart. Tintin FTW. Barely.

I go back and forth on this. I think these are the 2 best animated films of last year. I may have over-praised Tintin originally, though, because after I first saw it, I put in in my top 15 for the year and named it best animated feature. But, after revisiting Rango a few months ago, I took all that back and renamed Rango as the best animated film of 2011. I have yet to rewatch Tintin, but for the time being, Rango takes this matchup for me.

Both of these are marvelous films, and are not only some of the best animated films of 2011, but some of the best films. Rango is wonderfully weird and endlessly quotable, and is the most gorgeous animated film to date (second to Tintin). Tintin is immensely flawed, but it's so ridiculously fun that the flaws don't really matter. Tintin also boasts some of John William's best musical work to date, and (as I mentioned before) breath taking animation. Rango is fantastic entertainment for older audiences, but my pick goes to Tintin (if partly for my love for the Tintin comics, as well as that for the movie).

Tintin. Didn't love Rango...but upon multiple viewings...it actually gets worse. Tintin was unique enough to stay relevant with me.

Rango by far. Tintin was very flawed, despite being somewhat entertaining.

Tintin had more depth to it than Rango.