Saving Private Ryan vs. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

5 comments

12 comments

Fellowship HAS to win here. SPR is breathtaking, but LOTR is probably the greatest movie trilogy of all time.

Am I alone in thinking that it is moronic to vote for one movie in a trilogy on the strength of the entire trilogy? Besides that, Saving Private Ryan is superior to The Fellowship of the Ring, and to The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers combined without a doubt. I rather enjoyed The Fellowship of the Ring despite expecting to hate it. But Saving Private Ryan it is not. And The Two Towers' battle scenes cannot compare to Saving Private Ryan's. The Ohama Beach scene at the beginning alone is superior to the entirety of The Two Towers, I'd say.

JRM
JRM

Tough one, but I'm gonna go for Private Ryan.

Fellowship definitely. The best fantasy film ever made.

Saving Private Ryan. But I just love 'em both...

Great match up. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy is beautiful. I was/am addicted to Tolkien's works BUT, if you just watched The Fellowship of the Ring and not the other two(soon to be three :D) you would be left with a really good and empty story; because it's incomplete. So Saving Private Ryan wins.

Fellowship of the Ring.

Saving Private Ryan totaly crushes here, I HATE the universe of Tolkien.

SPR absolutely obliterates FOTR. I fucking hate FOTR, it is overrated bullshit. One of the worst fantasy films ever.

Fellowship.

As much as i like fellowship...... saving private ryan wins.....

FOTR easily for me.

Fellowship of the Ring.

Both are very good and are important films that will live forever because of their epic nature. I think both are overrated even though I do really like both.

Who would anybody thinks of to hate LotR that is is overrated one of the worst fantasy films ever, for me LotR is far one of the best fantasy stories ever made it is far more bigger and epic plus LotR isn't overrated by little kids and man children.

Fellowship is only 9 minutes longer than Saving Private Ryan. I consider this worth mentioning because, comparatively, there is so much more going on in a full-scale epic fantasy like Fellowship, what with the numerous characters, story-lines, sub-plots, and interconnected historical events affecting different generations. My point being, Fellowship makes better use of its long running time. Private Ryan is too long for what it is. Cut out one of them "this is my backstory" monologues.

The Fellowship of the Ring>Saving Private Ryan

The Fellowship of the ring is pure cinematic eloquence. Saving Private Ryan while a very good film, was a bit cinematically muddled at times. I think at this point Spielberg started to get sloppy..

Ryan for the win