Mission: Impossible vs. Mission: Impossible II

13 comments

3 comments

The first one without any doubt whatsoever.

My logical side wants to say 1, but my slow-mo-dove side wants to say II...what to do what to do..

I dont know which to pick. I rewatched MI recently and it didnt hold up as well as I remembered.

Mission Impossible every time.

Oh wow. You know, I always thought that the largest drop in quality from original to sequel was Mummy - Mummy Returns. Apparently that duo has a rival.

While there is some great action in 2, it lacks any character with Ethan Hunt. Tom Cruise's performance in 1 is the deciding factor for me.

Neither is a great movie, but II was so impossibly stupid that it makes I look really, really good.

Both are pretty mediocre action movies with decent plot ideas that are ruined by overly convoluted storytelling. MI2 has better action sequences, but it is also overdone and I just wanted to yell at the screen to kill the guy already about a quarter of the way through the last fighting sequence. I'm gonna have to go with the original for this one, although neither one really stands up to repeated viewing.

both are okay but you can't beat john woo actoin

Dafuq? The action in II is horrible. Slo-mo hair? Get the fuck outta here.

II isn't very good at all, the first one isn't great, but it is pretty good. Not much of a contest here.

1st Mission Impossible wins.

The first one was too convoluted to be consistently fun, but the flashy action sequences were nice. On the other hand, Mission Impossible II is a colossal bore, as it seems more devoted to telling its aggressively cliched love-story, than producing a fun film. I wouldn't watch either again by choice, but at least the first Mission Impossible was sporadically entertaining.

Wow, surprised at the votes. I thought MI2 was considerably better... certainly more entertaining. And that's all you can really ask for with these two movies.

The first one is much better in pretty much every way.

I actually prefer MI2. Yeah, it's a little cheesy but the action is much better. Plus, you can't beat a score by Hans Zimmer.

Didn't care for either of these. The 3rd and 4th movies in this series completely wiped the floor with the first two. But there was just something insanely campy about MI 2. I'll take the first.

Are people misremembering how unbelievably dull the sequel is? Nothing of interest happens in the first 75 minutes and the action is simply John Woo on auto-pilot. Even Cruise looked quite bored. The first film is by no means great, but it's much better when put in comparison.

The worst two. Gotta go with the first Mission here

I!

M:I is not a great movie by any means, but it’s decent. Many of its problems come from the plot being pretty hard to follow sometimes, and you gotta rewind some scenes, cause you just didn’t understand what they said. But when the plot actually gets going it can be pretty fun. It has a lot of iconic scenes which are just the greatest, and though not having a lot of it, the action is really solid if not a little over-the-top. And Ethan Hunt is a pleasure to watch on screen, though 80% of that is probably cause of Tom Cruise. But Mission: Impossible II, is possibly the dumbest movie ever made. It has more over the top scenes then all 80s action movies combined. And the plot is just a hot mess, it makes the first one look more simple then a kids show. I’ve never seen a movie so overly complicated, yet dumb as crap at the same time. And there’s so many scenes that just make zero sense, the action scenes especially are just pure nonsense. And the pacing/editing is so bad, there kinda isn’t even a main character really! And not in a artsy fartsy way, just in a “we don’t know how to do basic storytelling” way. But the worst part about this movie is the worst dialogue ever written by any man. “To go to bed with a man and lie to him? She's a woman. She's got all the training she needs.”, “You know women, mate. Like monkeys, they are. Won't let go of one branch until they've got a grip on the next!”, and “I don't have a conscience. I'm a bloody thief.”, for some examples. Oh and the romance in this movie is as lazy and generic as they come, they literally just think each other are hot. That’s it. There’s so much random, bizarre stuff in II as well like when the villain cut off a henchman’s pinky for asking a normal question anyone would. Also, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone look more then in this movie. Everyone just stares at each other in slow-mo. I went on a tangent there but M:I2 is just, one of the worst movies of all time. But yes, the first is the superior one of the two.

Someone actually voted for 2. I am surprised