The Grand Budapest Hotel vs. Guardians of the Galaxy

6 comments

10 comments

Grand Budapest

A very close run for no. 1 and no. 2 of 2014 so far, but my biggest problem with Guardians of the Galaxy (aside from the villain being blander than bread, which seems to be a common feature/problem with the MCU) is that the plot and the progression of set pieces from one to the other were pretty much identical to that of the Avengers. This might not necessarily be a bad thing, seeing how they are set in the same universe, but I still felt that it was retreading old ground a little too heavily and deliberately for my liking. But aside from that, a solid superhero film, one of the better entries into the MCU and with a good variety of humour, action, visual splendour, entertainment and genuine warmth and heart to it on occasion. GBH had all of these things (maybe not action, and certainly in a very different kind on all fronts), but it was the much more original and unusual film which I found refreshing and thoroughly enjoyable, and for that reason, it's still my no. 1 of 2014 (as of August).

cinematoraphy of budapest is the only thing better than Guardians

Definitely enjoyed Grand Budapest...but it's Guardians here...

Definitely Guardians for me also. It just had the bigger impact on me, and I think about it more often.

Grand Budapest Hotel definitely

Definitely Grand Budapest Hotel for me. A very unusual and at times bizarre film that I enjoyed very much. The film felt very fresh to me in terms of other movies out now while Guardians just felt like "yet another Marvel Studios movie". Not saying Guardians is a bad film, it was just very average for me is all.

Two delightful films with darker and more intelligent undertones than you would expect. Both are really fun, both are really emotional when they want to be, and both contain a hilarious central performance. I prefer Finnes to Pratt in this case, but both are my favorites of the year.

"I am Groot"

I wasn't that into GBH, so it's Guardians for me.

Like every Wes Anderson movie I've seen, I liked The Grand Budapest Hotel, but didn't quite love it. I loved Guardians of the Galaxy.

I'll go with the year's best

GotG

Disliked Guardians, loved Grand Budapest.

Tiebreaker: "The Grand Budapest Hotel" is Wes Anderson's best movie and is number 10 on my favs of 2014, but "Guardians of the Galaxy" is number one on that list for more action and snark.

the grand budapest is anderson's best, guardians is slightly above mcu average

I love both of these films, but Guardians had a deeper impact on me and I feel I can watch it and enjoy it more often. Sorry, Wes! You are one of my favorite filmmakers though!