Desperado vs. El Mariachi

5 comments

2 comments

Have to go with El Mariachi, because Rodriguez's book (Rebel Without a Crew) really stuck with me and made the movie so much more enjoyable. Never have been able to sit through Desperado, however; much less interesting, lots of ideas rehashed.

Yeah, despite a bigger budget and the presence of Salma Hayek, Desperado fell flat, especially in the second half. El Mariachi - flawed as it is - felt vibrant throughout, like a gun-toting Yojimbo spun around with a Jackie Chan "you've got the wrong guy"-type plot. Plus you have those hallucination-inspired dream sequences Rodriguez kept in.

It's certainly astonishing what Robert Rodriguez made with a few hundred dollars, because El Mariachi looks impressive for its budget. However, I think that Desperado is obviously much better; Banderas and Hayek make a great pair, the action scenes are superb, and the supporting cast is splendid as well. In the end, El Mariachi is a much more admirable work if you compare the movies' respective budgets, but Desperado is just so much more entertaining and brilliantly played that my choice is inevitable.

El Mariachi is wonderful. Desperado still meh for me.

I agree with everything CeeTee said. Desperado is just on another level.

Desperado is essentially El Mariachi given a massive overhaul and upgrade

Absolutely no contest on this one...