The Silence of the Lambs vs. Red Dragon

4 comments

2 comments

hee hee this is kinda funny. and as much as I love Edward Norton, I'm going with Lambs

Not easy, I like both

As much as i like Lambs, i'm going with the underrated Red Dragon. Which is weird because i usually hate Brett Ratner with a passion.

I really enjoyed Red Dragon but Silence of the Lambs is one of the only few films that is better than the source material that it's based on.

I agree with Reelz. Both films are good, and the books are very good too, but Silence of the Lambs is a classic film. I wouldn't say it was much better than the book though, I still found the book enjoyable, and I'm not much of a reader. The best case of a film being better than it's source material I can think of is Jaws.

Gotta pick Red Dragon. I could sense a greater amount of tension in the conversations between Norton and Hopkins. I didn't like Foster's performance at all. She was obviously having a hard time coping with Anthony Hopkins who was sublime as Hannibal Lecter. I also found Red Dragon more thrilling and entertaining than Silence. Silence seemed to be trying too hard to look grim and serious while Red Dragon achieved that quite effortlessly. I was, however, impressed by Ted Levine's portrayal of Buffalo Bill. He gave the character that unpredictability and eccentricity without losing a menacing body language. Neither of the two can hold a candle to Se7en which reigns supreme in the serial killer genre.

I disagree with Reelz. No way is Demme's adaptation better than Thomas Harris' brilliant novel.

Silence of the Lambs. Dragon was good, but not particularly memorable.

Fiennes was fine, and Red Dragon was thrilling, but no prequel was better than the original...