The Silence of the Lambs vs. The Shawshank Redemption

10 comments

17 comments

WHAT???

I really can't even decide...

These are so close, but "Shawshank" leaves me feeling triumphant and hopeful every time.

This one's tough. Gotta go with Shawshank though. Leaves more of an impression. The Silence of the Lambs is a great movie, and creepy as hell, but Shawshank is a masterpiece.

lambs is better. it's the movie that made me fall in love with Jodie Foster, and is one movie that i can say that scares the shit out of me. Redemption is also awesome, but in a different way.

Seb
Seb

Shawshank all the way!

Shawshank Redemption is a better and more fun film to watch

Shawshank is awesome

Shawshank wins this by a bazillion miles. In my opinion Silence of the Lambs is the most overrated movie of all time.

These are both pretty much neck n' neck in my chart, both deservedly in my top 20 but just outside my top 10. Both are excellent at doing what they do, among the best in their respective genres, but Shawshank is just more rewatchable. Silence of the Lambs might be one of the best crime thriller/horror films out there, but Shawshank is not only one of the best drama films, but is also one of the most emotionally satisfying films one could ask for. I watch it every May during exam season (although I am just about to leave full time education for good, so this may be the last), and it never fails to lift me out of revision blues with its unflappable optimism in the face of dire odds (both in the film and in the making/release of the film, I might add). In short, I love both, and both deserve strong slots in my top 20, but I'd rather sit down and watch Shawshank more. Shawshank wins.

Two goodies from the 90's... Silence.

Shawshank easily....and I love Silence of the Lambs...

Having finally rewatched Shawshank, I have to say that I now slightly prefer it to Silence of the Lambs.

The Shawshank Redemption wins easily.

Switching to Shawshank, but they are right next to each other on my chart.

Silence is awesome, but it doesn't beat Shawshank.

Shawshank. I loved its whole story and it makes you feel emotionally uplifted and satisfied at the end. There are parts of Silence of the Lambs I really liked but it’s got no chance of beating The Shawshank Redemption. Its emotional impact is just too big to be won over.

The Shawshank Redemption wins this by quite a bit.

Ok Shawshank wins

The Silence of the Lambs

Silence is the better movie but both are top 100 type movies.

Silence is good but not shawshank good

Shawshank gets the win here

Silence. I didn't care for Shawshank at all.

Silence. I didn't care for Shawshank at all.

both of them is awesome,but i prefer Shawshank

I find Shawshank schmaltzy in a way that is very typically 90s, and while I think it's a good movie, I don't really understand why it's regarded as one of the best films of all time. Silence feels more timeless, its chilling m, the set pieces are executed beautifully, and it boasts two of the greatest performances of all time in Foster's Clarice Sterling and Hopkins's Hannibal Lecter.

shawshank redemption is so forgettably then i really prefer more the silence of the lambs with all my heart!

Both are amazing.

For a film considered one of the best thrillers of all time, Silence has one or two really thrilling moments at most. Maybe the subject matter was shocking by early nineties standards, but today you could find it easily in a timid crime TV show. Hell, even the film's much-lauded interactions are hit and miss as far as tension and atmosphere-building are concerned. Just my opinion, but Shawshank takes this rather easily...

both are completely different types of films, both are amongst the greatest films of all time. having said all that, I'm giving the slight edge to Shawshank .

Shawshank is a better film overall, it is more powerful emotionally and in general people pr

efer this film overall because it is more universal and not really creepy or horrifying like a horror/thriller film.

But I prefer The silence of the lambs it connects more with me.