Requiem for a Dream vs. Trainspotting

13 comments

10 comments

on 11/9/2009

How can I choose between these two?? Uuuuugh!

on 12/6/2009

SO HARD.

on 12/21/2009

I have to go with Trainspotting because I can stand watching it more than once. Although it was a good movie, I wanted to kill myself after Requiem.

on 5/11/2010

I agree,Requiem is so hard to rewatch,But I liked it better.

ear
ear

on 5/11/2010

Both films are in my top 100 but Requiem is hard to beat.

on 8/31/2010

Both of these are very good movies. Normally, when faced with a toug decision like this, I go with which one I would want to watch again more than the other. That would be Trainspotting. But then I think of the reason why I don't even need to watch Requiem for a Dream again, and that reason is because the movie is permanently seared into my brain. Requiem wins, but Trainspotting is very good, too.

on 3/11/2011

Probably 2 of the best drug-addiction movies. Ugh how am I supposed to choose...

on 11/11/2011

I feel dirty after watching both, both are amazing, but going with Requiem here.

on 5/21/2012

Going with Trainspotting.

on 6/21/2012

Both very close to each other. Trainspotting is a lot more entertaining, but Requiem is a lot more harrowing (although not as harrowing as I thought). A very close call, and while I did enjoy Trainspotting a lot more than I thought I would on first time viewing as I felt it got the balance between humour and drama right, and I do love Danny Boyle, I am going to go with Requiem on this one. The editing and cinematography are much more vivid and diverse, adding to the sense of unease.

on 6/21/2012

Trainspotting wins. Great stuff per usual from Danny Boyle...

on 6/21/2012

I should probably see Trainspotting again, but for now, I'll go with Requiem.

on 11/29/2012

I'm gonna have to go with trainspotting just because I prefer the characters. They are both brilliant films though.

on 11/29/2012

Trainspotting invites you to take a look at how ugly addiction is but it also shows us why these guys got so into the shit in the first place. Plus, you get to laugh. Plus, awesome music. Plus, it's a visual treat. Requiem takes things too far, I think. I'm not squeamish, it's just that at the end of it all, all I could think was, "I get the point." Not a bad movie, at all, but it ain't beating Trainspotting.

on 1/26/2013

Trainspotting

on 6/17/2013

Trainspotting.

on 12/30/2013

Requiem is one of the greatest films about drug abuse. Trainspotting is excellent, but not nearly as good as Requiem.

on 4/29/2014

Danny Boyle's work on Trainspotting is stronger and more disciplined than what Darren Aronofsky did with Requiem for a Dream. I get what Aronofsky was trying to accomplish shooting his film the way he did, but it all ended up looking like a feature-length music video. If it wasn't for Ellen Burstyn's poignant performance, none of this ADHD-addled film would've sunk in for me at all. I echo everything that ToryK said about Trainspotting. It's just plan superior storytelling.

on 7/31/2014

Although they're both excellent portrayals of drug addiction, it's not even close for me. Requiem is so much better in my opinion. It really stays with you.

on 11/15/2015

Requiem for superior editing and cinematography

on 1/14/2016

Good match up, great discussion. Im gonna go with Trainspotting because i prefer the characters & soundtrack. Tough one though.

on 2/6/2018

Funny that this would come up for me, since both movies are basically the same thing. However, one has a happier ending, while the other is tragic. I'm going with the more realist film.

on Jan 10

Two of the all time best movies about addiction