The Thin Red Line vs. Days of Heaven

2 comments

2 comments

It truly baffles me why Days of Heaven is so highly regarded. Even the film's much-lauded cinematography isn't that impressive. The Thin Red Line is more visually impressive, features the better performances (with Nick Nolte giving the best one), and has the more focused message. It's far from perfect, but The Thin Red Line is the better film here.

It truly baffles me why Thin Red Line is so highly regarded. Even the film's much-lauded cinematography isn't that impressive. Days of Heaven is more visually impressive, features the tighter editing and story, and has the more ambiguous and less pretentious message. It's not perfect, but Days of Heaven is the better film here.

Thin Red Line

Days of Heaven looks stunning, but it did nothing for me. The Thin Red Line also looks stunning (probably even more so) and it was actually a good experience for me. No contest here.

I've just recently watched Malick's first three films, and right now I think each one gets successively better than the last. Badlands was REALLY good, Days of Heaven establishes Malick's style of mixing a contemporary film genre with his own esoteric, naturalist, and poetic style of film making that creates a visceral sort of experience, but The Thin Red Line takes those elements and makes (for me at least) a more emotionally and intellectually evocative experience. The latter two beg for revisiting in the future, but right now I'm giving it to The Thin Red Line

Love me a sweeping meditative Malick epic like The Thin Red Line, but I still prefer the more intimate, focused storytelling of Days of Heaven, whose narration too works better, for it sounds natural. Though I didn't grow up with it (got around to seeing it only a few years ago, in fact) Days of Heaven still leaves me melancholy and nostalgic. Probably because it retells a past worth remembering.

i prefer days of heavens cinematography and dreamy atmosphere, but the thin red line is a much better existential work