Singin' in the Rain vs. Gone with the Wind

5 comments

0 comments

Let's be honest: both of these films are kind of overhyped...then again, there's also a reason they got the amount of hype they got. I think the stunning musical numbers in Singin in the Rain gives it a slight edge over the rapeyness and racism of GWTW, which I still love.

AFI couldn't even make this decision.

Gone with the Wind isn't a romance. It's a horror story. Scarlett O'Hara is a cockroach, born to survive by destroying everyone else in her path. I know it wasn't written as such, but she is one of the best villains created in early cinema history. Singin' in the Rain however couldn't be more different. It's a trifle of delights. Probably the quintessential Hollywood musical. I'm tempted to vote for Gone with the Wind just on my reading of it, but overall I'll take Gene Kelly's damp trousers over Vivien Leigh's green bonnet.

Two AFI top 5 selections...that don't really stand the test of time for me. I appreciate them for what they are, but both rank fairly low on my flickchart...

I love the epic that is Gone With the Wind, but who doesn't love a good musical number?

I prefer gone with the wind, singin in the rain is kinda boring!

GWTW FTW!!

Singin' in the Rain