The Texas Chain Saw Massacre vs. Enter the Dragon

7 comments

11 comments

Enter the Dragon is a fun ride, but The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is some badass raw terror. Bruce Lee would likely beat Leatherface into submission, though.

The '70s were so cool.

Tie, regardless of what my charts say. Take that "snarky" white guy who plays golf out of Enter the Dragon and that'd probably win, though.

Two very slept on movies of the 1970's.

BRUCE.

3rd from top vs 3rd from bottom. Sweet.

Damn. You hated Texas Chainsaw that much?

Well,...he's not the only one who hates it. *Insert random heroic music* Texas Chainsaw just sucks, imho. The direction is okay, the suspense is okay, but everything else is way below average. The performances, the characters, the pacing, the earbleeding from the constant screaming, it all sucks. "Look at the bones! Look at 'em Scary right??"

It's not like they overused it. She woke up in a room fulla fucked up bone ornaments and it was a clear sign she was in a house she didn't want to be in. I don't expect a family of inbred cannibals to put up Christmas decorations instead to avoid being cliche or something.

My problem isn't necessarily that they overused it (the scene with the bones is about 2 minutes long), it's how they filmed it. She trips and falls into the room, and then we get 2 minutes of the camera zooming in on the bones (and a chicken). So, what, she studied the room for 2 whole minutes? And a sofa made out of bones isn't scary; it's unintentionally comical (maybe it would've worked in the sequel? Whatevs). Why not quick shots of the bones or the other fucked up things in the room (excluding the sofa) for a more effective scare, the girl GTFO, quickly followed by Leatherface appearing for an also more effective 'oh shit'-moment. Now it's like the scare is on slo-mo. "Huuu, well, you are young and stuff, you are used to fast editing and shaky cam and all that other cheap crap. Back in the 70s...". Well, maybe. But I don't think the movie holds up.

"So, what, she studied the room for 2 whole minutes?" ... "Now it's like the scare is on slo-mo." When you go into shock, time seems to slow down. The length of a scene isn't always a literal translation of how long it is for the character. And I don't think that part was intended as a "boo!" jump type scare, anyway, it's putting us right in Leatherface's (who isn't meant to be a cutesty slasher icon like Freddie or Jason at this point) environment after all the hints that something is amiss in their backwater vacation spot. About whether or not the camera ruminating on bones is effective or not, well, I guess that's kinda pointless to argue about. It's like "man, what's with all these aliens in Star Wars? I guess it's supposed to be cool that it's showing us all these aliens and space ships and stuff, but MEH."

Irrelevant addendum: shakeycam isn't necessarily bad depending on the style of action. It's bad when it's just used to disguise boring action directing, sure, but all stylistic devices can have their place.

Well no, I get that it wasn't supposed to be a jump scare (at all) and your 'shock leads to time seemingly slowing down' argument makes sense, but I don't know; it doesn't work for me. It feels very "in your face" and I don't think it's particularly scary or saying much. And you're referring to the Cantina scene in Star Wars? I thought that worked incredibly well; it tells us that there's a lot of crazy, sometimes scary looking creatures in space. It creates an uncomfortable atmosphere because we don't know this place and because it's filled with aliens. And because we haven't seen an alien before (well...the Jawas, but they were unintimidating), it's very effective. With Texas Chain Saw Massacre, we've already seen some creepy stuff (like that guy cutting himself and Leatherface), so the scene with the bones doesn't really work. For me, at least.

Talking about Star Wars makes me want to see Star Wars again. Gotta have my fix, lol.

Not even a hate thing, TK. It's just boring. Nothing fucking happens.

^I only had that feeling with the scene where they want to torture that girl. Just ten to fifteen minutes of nothing. Well, unless you get enjoyment out of a girl screaming the blood out of your ears.

Bruce by KTFO....

Leatherface vs. Bruce Lee, what a fight that would be.