Split vs. Glass

2 comments

1 comments

Glass probably took some of Unbreakable and Split magic away because of its ending. But Split is still a pretty damn fine movie. James McAvoy killed it. I still was pretty bored by Casey flashbacks, tho. Glass is awesome and I just said it right here. Fuck what the critics are saying. It's certainly not a disappointment. It was great because of what it was and I was completely shocked by its ending. Some may compare it to Logan or maybe Infinity War, y'know. I thought Split felt flat at times, while Glass certainly didn't. Empty? Maybe. But still... taking it.

It's safe to say these are the only two M. Night films of the last 15 years that feel like it was made by a man with a vision (unlike his Village-Visit films which could've been made by anyone directing and filmmaking-wise. Yes, The Visit showed his potential but the directing is standard found footage). Even with the problems of Glass, it's still great to see M Night finishing his passion trilogy and his old particular style again. Split is M Night's best post-Sixth Sense movie. It's tensed, gripping and has a solid narrative. Flawed? Yes but everything gives it layers. Glass has a fantastic first 20 mins but doesn't pick up until the final act. Everything in between just didn't engage me and felt like it all went backwards. Oh and Cassie returns and while her acting has improved from her monotoned looks in Split she's practically useless in Glass and her sudden change of heart makes no sense. The kid from Unbreakable, though, I loved the character and the actor this time around. We could've just had a film where David and his son did vigilante stuff eventually finding Kevin and it would've been more interesting than the average and underwhelming conclusion we got.

Glass is as bad as everyone is saying but I found Split to be even worse.