The Princess Bride vs. Titanic

8 comments

12 comments

The princess Bride is such a huge part of my childhood. I could never vote against it.

Yeah, as much as I enjoy 'Titanic' it cannot be 'The Princess Bride'.

Probably gonna go with Titanic, but it is a close call.

This is a laughably easy choice. The Platonic ideal of a fairytale romance against a chemistry-less romance with clunky class characterisations and a bit of risque sketching. The Princess Bride wins without breaking sweat.

ear
ear

I'm one of the few that never understood the appeal of The Princess Bride or the backlash against the Titanic.

I'm with you on not understanding the Titanic backlash, ear, but I do find The Princess Bride appealing. Tough call, actually.

The only problem I have with The Princess Bride are the scenes with Peter Falk and Fred Savage. When I'm watching a fantasy movie, or any movie, I don't want to be reminded that what I'm seeing isn't real. Falk and Savage serve no purpose aside from disrupting the flow of the movie. Aside from that, though, The Princess Bride is one of my favorite movies from before adulthood, and one of the few that I memorized line for line. Titanic, by comparison, is an hackneyed and charmless movie that takes itself too seriously and degenerates into cheap schmaltz by the end. If the story wasn't set on the Titanic it would have absolutely nothing going for it, so using a well-known and tragic event to hide that fact is really manipulative.

ear
ear

The only problem I had with The Princess Bride is that I felt that it was "charmless and hackneyed" and dare I say dull. I think the love story within a story in The Titanic was compelling and charming with star making performances by Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet. The depiction of the historic event of the sinking of the Titanic was extremely realistic and tragic in The Titanic. It brought history to life and it gave you insight on the event. I think both films were probably great films but we look at them with different eyes. I could never prefer The Princess Bride and you could never prefer The Titanic. What a quandary of ideas and opinions.

My problem with Titanic is that it is essentially 'A Night to Remember' (which is good) with a poor tacked-on love story. As a linking device between the main story and the love-story James Cameron uses the class system as something that emphasises the horror of the disaster and as an obstacle for love to overcome. Unfortunately the Leo and Kate don't have much connection (I just don't buy Leonardo di Caprio as a romantic lead, he's way too boyish) and the portrayal of the class system, seen in the contrast between the free dancing in steerage and the stuffy dinners in the dining room with their wide variety of forks, is about as subtle as fluorescent brick. Added to which there are several scenes and lines of dialogue which are direct steals from 'A Night to Remember'. Yes, they're based on the same source material, but come on James, at least try to find a new way to frame a specific scene!

I'll admit it; after Titanic, I jumped on the "Leo's overrated" bandwagon. Then 2006 rolled around. I think Titanic is definitely a movie that is due for a re-watch from me. I am deciding to vote for The Princess Bride here, though, if only for all that memorable dialogue. "Inconceivable!"

The spectacle of the final half of "Titanic" (i.e., the sinking) is still amazing to me. But it's not beating "The Princess Bride," which I still find charming and enjoyable after all these years.

The Princess Bride is much more meh than titanic. And it doesn't simply has the charm titanic has.

This is laughably easy choice. A forgettable chemistry-less fairy tale romance vs epic historical romance. Titanic wins without breaking sweat and crush the princess bride underneath it.

Titanic. Bouncing around in fairyland has its place but Princess Bride, to me, is awful!

The Princess Bride with the edge...

Titanic crushed the princess bride under it.

The Princess Bride is just average fairytale. Titanic is dark fairytale. I'd choose Titanic over Princess Bride Anyday

Titanic is decent. The princess bride is laughable. The acting is even much more bad than titanic.

the princess bride isn't even close to titanic.

The princess bride is awful as fuck. At least titanic is decent.

Princess Bride was solid but Titanic's second half pulls it ahead.