Vertigo vs. Bambi

1 comments

0 comments

Even though Bambi was a great Disney movie with adorable characters, I have never gotten over (spoiler alert! if you somehow haven't seen Bambi yet) the fact that his mother died in the fire. It was as though it changed from a children's film to a drama, but no one told me it had switched. I thought, "It's Disney, so everyone good will be okay." Maybe Disney was trying to evolve and be taken more seriously, or maybe it was because it was during WWII. You don't get what you're expecting with Vertigo, due to its twists and turns. But throughout it maintains its status as a mystery, and it remembers who its audience is. Vertigo was the first Hitchcock movie I ever saw, and it had me hooked on the director. The use of Technicolor and VistaVision is beautiful, the music is at many times haunting, and I thoroughly enjoyed the storytelling. In my opinion it's among the best movies from the 1950s. Perhaps that was partly a function of WWII being a thing of the past (even if not-too-distant) and how it affected women's roles off-screen and on, and the sexual revolution coming on the horizon. Psychology and the mind also play a big part in the story as in other Hitchcock films, and colors and motifs enhance the effect. And unlike Bambi, even when the story gets turned on its head, you know you are still watching the same film.