Insignificance vs. Stakeout

0 comments

0 comments

Insignificance is about Marilyn Monroe hanging out with Albert Einstein in an hotel room. Well, there's more to it, but that's basically the film. Stakeout is about Richard Dreyfuss and Emilio Estevez hanging out in a room and spying on Madeleine Stowe. Insignificance just seemed silly to me, even though there was apparently supposed to a deep meaning to it all. Stakeout passes the time OK. I think I watched it on cable about fifty times.

Does Einstein get to hit that? That would be some awesome fantasy vindication for all the nerds out there. Oh wait, Arthur Miller hit that...

She explains Relativity to him using toy vehicles, if I recall. She does offer herself up, but Einstein doesn't go for it. And Joe DiMaggio (played by Gary Busey!) shows up acting all threatening. I wonder who Monroe would be having sex with if she was a star today... Noam Chomsky? I just picked that name randomly. Maybe, though...

Oh yeah, Chomsky would go to town on that ass once she explained generative grammar using actual strings from her wonderbra. Well, that doesn't actually makes sense (damned if I understand that formal language crap anyway) but I'm sticking with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generative_grammar I'm actually going to try to make sense of all this. Currently, Chomsky's theory of generative grammar is known as the Minimalist program. It is my goal to determine if it can explained with wonderbra strings. I neglected to study linguistics when I was aimlessly taking courses in the past, but now is my chance to catch up.

Fearless! If you strike gold here, I want some credit. Maybe you could name your paradigm busting metaphor 'The Cleckley-Pain Expansion of the Chomsky–Schützenberger Hierarchy'. Well, in the spirit of fairness, maybe 'The Pain-Cleckley Expansion' will be better. Anyway, this aimless studying stuff is becoming quite infectious. I've been thinking about learning Japanese for a while now (with no expected reward other than the learning itself - shock! horror!), so maybe it's time I actually started. You took some Japanese courses right? What did you think, as hard as they say it is?

Japanese isn't hard at all. Maybe learning all the kanji would be rough, but I picked up the hiragana and katakana characters pretty quick. If you know those, you can still write in Japanese. I checked out a book on Vietnamese from the library and tried to figure it out, and that really was hard. Japanese is way easier. Just learning the basics shouldn't take all that long. It's been a few years since I've freshened up my skills, though.