Mars Attacks! vs. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

1 comments

1 comments

Two of the worst things ever put to film. Honestly, I can't tell you how much I hate both fims.

Mars Attacks! is exactly the way I like to see my aliens on the big screen - campy, hideous, completely larger-than-life and unforgettable. That Tim Burton saw fit to put such deliciously terrible creatures in such a fantastic comedy made the experience all the better. No, it wasn't a perfect movie and for many it wasn't even a good movie, but to this day, whenever someone goes buggy-eyed and replicates that distinct alien "Chirp," you can't help but crack a smile and know exactly what that person is getting at. With Crystal Skull, we all knew that we had no business expecting great things - by comparison, Temple of Doom came out just three years after Raiders of the Lost Ark and Last Crusade was released five years after Temple of Doom. The window for greatness (albeit with a hiccup on Temple of Doom I blame almost solely on Kate Capshaw) was during that 8 year period. 19 years was just too long and someone like Shia LaBeouf getting roped in was as inevitable as the casting decision itself being doomed to failure. It's not that the movie was wholly terrible, it just had two really great movies and one pretty good one to live up to and stacked against those, it just felt completely inadequate. The all star cast, great comedic moments and sneak peeks at the early career greatness of multiple stars like Natalie Portman and Jack Black give Mars Attacks! the total win.