Deadpool 2 vs. Deadpool

4 comments

14 comments

This was inevitable. Deadpool is a very basic movie in terms of storytelling and even humour. If anything, it’s timing in terms of the state of comic book movies was perfect and kinda blinded people (including myself at first) into thinking it was great. Despite this, Ryan Reynolds was born to play Wade, the action is fantastic and I love the style of how a self-aware and ridiculous character is in a rather serious world. Deadpool 2, um, didn’t do anything for me. In fact, it just tried too hard. I didn’t know what it was trying to achieve in terms of style. It’s serious for an hour and a bit with a few comedic moments mixed in and there’s themes of self-pity that suck any joy away and then it becomes fully comedic again in the second half but the transition between tones is so jarring. I talked about the story for Deadpool being basic but it had a clear beginning, middle and end. Deadpool 2 feels like it’s a series of action set-pieces built around a very annoying character who is used only as a mcguffin and has to constantly (especially in the first act), recall or copy events and ideas of the first. I could forgive all my problems if it had a great action, a bit of quirkiness and something memorable as the first one did; except it doesn’t. I will basic over confused.

Deadpool 1 was great, but I felt it blew it's load in the first act. Deadpool 2 doubles down on everything that made the first one great; References, 4th wall breaks, gory action, and surprising heart.

I have a feeling Deadpool 2 will get better for me on repeat viewings, but right now, I'd say the first one takes the cake.

Deadpool 2 really didn’t know what it wanted to be. Very haphazard as it occasionally tried to reach for emotion that just wasn’t available to what is basically a live action cartoon. Was it mocking the genre or was it trying to be a full fledged superhero action flick? Being stuck in the middle, it fails at both. The first one wins.

Might have to go Deadpool 2. I'm not a huge fan of the first one and I liked the emotional aspects of the second film.

Rac
Rac

First Deadpool is really good, came out the just at the right time. Deadpool 2 just... doesn't work well. It's not a bad movie, but it is not certainly that good, or as good as it should have been.

"Trying too hard" is pretty much the description for Deadpool 2. Most of the time, it worked for me, but not as well as the first.

ear
ear

Deadpool was an ok film with a few good laughs and a semblance of a plot. Deadpool 2 is just action sequences mixed with bad tasteless jokes and references to better films. It is too long for such a poor script and sloppy film making.

It's true, DP2 does have a piss poor script and is sloppy film making. Massive drop in quality. The first was refreshing, the second is very blah.

I also enjoyed the original slightly more, but both of these films crack me up.

Both movies are funny in my opinion. The first is a little better

Deadpool was fine but the second movie is just flat out junk. Awful. Dumb with meaningless cartoon consequences and simply not that funny.

Both Are Awesome, Mindless Gory Fun, Hysterical, And Have Nonstop Action, But Deadpool 2 Went Crank 2 Levels Of Crazy With The Blood And Gore And There’s Even More Fight Scenes, So Deadpool 2 For The Win

i find dp2 to be a huge improvement over the first one

The original is slightly better

Agree with the sequel hate. DP2 is all kinds of awful. Completely dumb with no heart.

the original but deadpool 2 is nothing awful at all. it is a good sequel to deadpool 1 just not as good

Deadpool. The sequel is good but the reason the original continues to stand out is because the audience at the time weren't desensitized by that type of film. Superhero movies are getting played, numerous of them drop every year now. Deadpool was done differently, and in turn felt like a breath of fresh air

I really like both films. 1 is more consistent and I give it an edge in comedy, yet 2 has better big moments, and the action scenes in particular are a step up. I might have to come back to this.