No Country for Old Men vs. Inglourious Basterds

23 comments

9 comments

Favorite movie of 2007 vs. my favorite of 2009 - Basterds all the way.

Inglourious Basterds is a bit choppy, and the strucure of the movie starts to become tedious. Lots of talking, then violence. Repeatedly. No Country for Old Men flows much better and is more consistently entertaining and suspenseful.

Inglourious Basterds is a masterpiece... No Country was good but doesn't hold up to Basterds...

A great example of craft versus story. Tarantino's wonderful, witty and fun, fun, fun revenge exploitation pick is a movie museum funhouse on amphetamines. It hits all the notes and pulls on all the heart strings of the ecclectic film buff. Seriously, Bowie played over WWII costume melodrama? Awesome! And it will have a couple of scens that will go down in film history (especially Hans Landa v. Farm Dad). But while its really good and fun pastiche, its is in the end just pastiche. Look at Chigurh v. Friendo. It is as iconic and intense as any Landa scene, but is also an essential element of a plot as driven and inevitible as any since Aristotle. And it has emotional heft that isn't subsequently undercut or watered down the way Landa's heavier stuff is by the lighter side of that film. Basterds A+. No Country A+++.

Damn thats tough, but I gotta go with the Basterds.

I personally didn't see what everyone else saw in No Country For Old Men, so Inglourious Basterds it is.

I gotta give it to the Basterds. Both films have extremely satisfying sequences, but both also suffer from slow, tedious sequences (that are still good, but disrupt the film a bit). Unfortunately, No Country's slow moments are in the end, and it lacks the cinematic final act PUNCH that Basterds delivers wholeheartedly.

JRM
JRM

Two favorites of mine (top 50 at the moment), but Basterds left me even more satisfied and wanting more. (Insert 'that's what she said' joke here? No? Ok).

Gotta love the air pump gun wielding maniac, although I do love the Basterds. No Country wins.

I love IB, but NCFOM is one of the greatest BP winners of all time.

Changed my mind on this a while back btw. Sticking with No Country.

Both great films.The antagonists in both the films were chilling.Two of the most deserving best supporting actor winners of all time.But I'll go with Basterds simply because of Christoph's shocking performance.

Both films are in the ranks of the greats, but in the end No Country For Old Men wins out. Not only is it applicable on numerous levels, but the entire style only compliments the already superbly fleshed out themes. Unlike the Friend-o scene lovers, which is fantastic, my favorite part is the subtle interaction between Llewelyn and the Mexican man he returns to give water to. The interaction ensues almost without dialog and yet it keeps Llewelyn up at night. Basterds hit your film lover's bone, but No Country touched your soul.

Two of the best villains in film history: Anton Chigurh and Hans Landa. Inglourious wins though.

Two great movies, but No country is better in my opinion.

No Country, Bastards is a lot of fun but NCFOM is just the more polished film.

Both are definitely two of my favourite films of recent times. No Country takes it though, such a great thriller for me.

Both are fantastic. Tarantino wins.

I really should watch NCFOM again, I'm not sure if it will beat Bastards, but I think it has the potential. Basterds for now.

Basterds for me, but just barely.

Probably gotta go NCFOM...but this could switch on a regular basis...

Tarantino is my choice although this wasn't easy

Inglourious Basterds is my choice.

IB

Basterds takes the cake.

Both are very, very good. I'll have to pick Basterds for now but that could change after additional No Country viewings.

I love Basterds but No Country wins this fairly easily for me

No Country for Old Men is the more definitive film of the 2000s.

Two movies I had a lot of low expectations. When I've watched Inglourious Basterds, I've expected a very tedious, bloated and overlong movie. In the time, I have only watched Kill Bill: Volume 1, Pulp Fiction, and Reservoir Dogs. The only one I'm was in love with, was Pulp Fiction. So, I've watched Inglourious Basterds. And it was a hell of a movie. So, I've re-watched Kill Bill: Volume 1 and started to love it. Now, I'm a Tarantino maniac. Story seems a bit similar to No Country - over it, I've watched the True Grit remake, the Men in Black movies, The Fugitive, and Skyfall. Despised all of them. The fact that it's the best movie of everyone involved with it, was just amazing. I hope I'll turn a Coens fan with time. Need to watch Fargo, and The Big Lebowski. I'll take No Country here in a close one though. Anyways, Tarantino is still better than the Coens.

Anton Chigurh>Lt. Aldo Raine.

ear
ear

Old Men over Basterds

Despite how hilarious and ridiculous Inglorious Basterds is, No Country is a superior film. It's more tightly paced, suspensefully entertaining, and expertly crafted. No Country for Old Men by a decent margin.

I think Basterds is better acted with a larger cast and a perfect performance from Christoph Waltz. And it's a superbly structured film, and arguably even better than No Country. But overall, I think No Country takes everything else. Better cinematography and more philosophical and greater thematic depth.

Honestly, I'm kinda second guessing myself. I'll give it to the Basterds, tho. I think the depth of the film and the different angles you could use to approach it help it. It also helps that the movie has one of the best scripts of the 21st century and probably even outshines No Country in that regard