Green Street Hooligans vs. Harry Brown

0 comments

2 comments

Hmm, interesting line-up. While I find both extremely entertaining for what they are, both have their problems. Harry Brown, while it is great to see Michael Caine shooting some chavs, presents a Daily Mail wet-dream of vigilantism against irreconcilable human scum which (for better or for worse, depending on how you look at it) simply doesn't exist in this country, at least not to any great extent. Green Street Hooligans is also falsely representative as it takes football hooliganism at the levels it reached during the late 80s and 90s and tries to put it in the 2000s, which doesn't really work. Not to mention the Georgie actor playing the lead Cockney (who actually makes Elijah Wood look more believable in the context of the film, even if he is more witty as a character). However, for my money, Harry Brown wins this one as it has some really memorable performances from Michael Caine and Ben Drew, maintains a level of grim, humourless level of unabashed unpleasantness which is rarely found or maintained in films these days. And like I said, Michael Caine goes around killing chavs - excellent! :)

*Geordie actor

Bonus points for each dead chav, of course, but Green Street is silly, silly, good times.