Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 vs. War for the Planet of the Apes

7 comments

4 comments

Heading into the year, these were my two most anticipated movies. I WANTED to like Apes more, but, while I thought it was excellent (and certainly brilliantly made), it was a little TOO heavy. (I expect this from the Apes franchise, but, nonetheless, maybe it caught me on an off day.) Guardians Vol. 2 is not nearly as good as Vol. 1, but still a helluva lot of fun. Fun beats serious here, but both are good.

Guardians 2 was a colossal disappointment. A major step back from its predecessor. Whereas WAR built on the amazing DAWN.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 hit every mark and improved on the classic first film. Apes just blurs together in the "that was interesting but forgettable" new Apes trilogy.

GOTG 2 is so much richer and better.

I had more fun with Guardians 2 but War was great none-the-less.

War is a far more poignant film and a much more satisfying piece of cinema.

Guardians of the Galaxy will be remembered forever and for more than just groundbreaking FX.

Guardians sweeps any Apes movie if you're being honest.

Wart, so easy, this one

The Guardians is better franchise and better fun.

I've come around on this. Guardians Vol. 2 is still excellent, but War for the Planet of the Apes is a real tour de force. Still two of my favorite 2017 movies, but War has moved to #1.

i don't hate it but i never liked guardians 2 very much. I think War for the Planet of the Apes was one of the best films of 2017.