Emma vs. Emma

2 comments

2 comments

What to choose here? The confectionery unsubstantiality of the Paltrow version or the maddening anachronisms of the new miniseries with Garai?

I'm usually biased to the original/earlier version of any movie, and that hasn't changed here. Neither actress is a favourite, in fact, I went into both movies resenting their casting, but only one won me over. And that was Paltrow. I find her performance as Emma more charming and mature, whereas Garai comes across as too hyperactive and childish. I also generally prefer the casting in the 1996 version, especially for Mr. Knightley, Mr. Elton and Miss Bates. In addition, I feel the relationship between Emma and Mr. Woodhouse was more touchingly portrayed in the earlier film. Lastly, Jeremy's Northam's "Badly done, Emma!" > Jonny Lee Miller's version.

Even though I prefer the Beckinsale version to either of these, I agree with your comments, harpe.

Neither of them are perfect, but even though it's longer (always a plus with Austen adaptations) the 2009 version's ending is so dead that it leaves such a bad taste. So Gwyneth wins for me.