Evil Dead II vs. The Empire Strikes Back

3 comments

3 comments

Why are the second acts always the best part of a trilogy? Wait, that's not 100 percent true. But it happens often enough and it's certainly the case here. They're also both cases of their respective trilogies finding just the right tone. Raimi, with his mixture of humor and the macabre. And then Lucas loaning his series to Kershner and bringing some pathos to the proceedings. Evil Dead's got Bruce coming into his own as Ash and it introduces the boomstick and the chainsaw. Good family fun. Empire spreads the love. Characters grow and get their time to shine. Vader's an absolute badass and the training Junior goes through with Yoda never gets old. And the finale deserves its legendary status. Love Raimi and I love Ash, but I gotta go with Empire. It's "my" Star Wars movie. Oh, and before I forget - "Look ma! No hands!"

Evil Dead II had a way greater impact on me as a movie watcher. It totally dictated the course of my film exploration for around a decade, since it sparked my interest in horror (and movies in general) on a massive level. At the time I hadn't seen anything like it. Empire never had that sort of influence. Maybe Star Wars, but none of the other ones in the series ever meant all that much to me. Especially as the years went on. Evil Dead II is a milestone.

I remember reading on this site somewhere (I think KingofPain said it) about how the first half or so of Evil Dead 2 is greater with Campbell just by himself. Then after the other people come waltzing in, it becomes kinda silly. I completely agree. With that being said, Empire feels more consistent while Evil Dead 2 is kinda choppy. It's still really great, but choppy. After watching the whole Evil Dead trilogy again, I can safely say that it's my second favorite behind the original. Empire is by far my most favorite of the original Star Wars trilogy because it's the most serious one. It feels more...mature. It also introduces Boba Fett. Now that dude can kick some ass. So my vote goes to Empire, but it's only a few spots higher than Evil Dead 2.

Yeah, that is my opinion on the matter regarding Evil Dead II. With Empire, I've grown to find it kind of boring. The only parts that would at all call exciting take place in the Cloud City portion. The chase scenes with Han vs. The Empire are dull, the Dagobah scenes have too much whiny Luke. Even the "I am your father" business just seems rushed. There was very little build up to the confrontation. Evil Dead II isn't my favorite in the series, but it is the one that had the bigger initial impact on me that still lasts to this day. Empire doesn't really hold a place of significance. (And Boba Fett... he was introduced only to be pissed on in Jedi. I think Empire had some potentially good ideas to expand on that weren't given proper follow through.)

Personally, the Hoth scenes were my favorite parts of the movie. The Cloud City scenes were pretty cool too. I think both Jango and Boba Fett were meant to be pissed on; they both died like weaklings. I had seen the first Evil Dead for the first time about four or five years ago when I was about 13, and I think it had the same effect on me like Evil Dead 2 did with you. That's probably the main reason why I didn't enjoy Evil Dead 2 quite as much. I think I found it to be a bit silly the first time that I saw it. Army of Darkness feels too much like a comedy film though, but it's also pretty cool. The whole trilogy is pretty damn cool.

I'll never get it! Evil Dead II kinda hits the ground as soon as those rednecks appear, for me. Plus I like the more subtle, black humor of the first one. Empire's good. It's tempting to feel like it's better than it is since a good portion of the movie takes place in this cool cloud city thing, but it's good. No shame in artistic design being half the appeal.

(I didn't read the previous posts until now and it turns out I just repeated a bunch of previously expressed opinions, more or less. Huh.)

^Many people do that on this site, myself included.

Evil Dead II is the sequel better than the original here. Empire Strikes Back is the Star Wars's worst (I ignoring The Phantom Menace, and Attack of the Clones for the sake of my sanity)

I prefer the Star Wars original, as Evil Dead II, it gets the easy win.