District 9 vs. 2001: A Space Odyssey

4 comments

6 comments

Such a tough choice, but I have to go with the classic. 2001 is simply a masterpiece.

2001 even looks better than District 9. I don't like the video game look these new movies have.

Space Odyssey.

Space Odyssey is on a completely different level. District 9 hasn't aged well compared to the fine wine which is Kubrick's masterpiece.

2001 may be the more influencial film, and I have upmost respect for it, but District 9 is a fantastic example of having your cake and eating it; an intelligent film with plenty of entertainment to supplement it. 2001 just isn't rewatchable; it's a fantastic film in filmmaking terms and philosophical content, but a cold, distant and sterile experience. I'm not going to cave into 2001 just because everyone considers it "the greatest film ever" etc, so District 9 wins.

2001 is indeed a fantastic film in terms of composition. It's so pretty, in fact, that we assume it must be smart too. In terms of philosophical content, there's just nothing there. In my book, it's one of the biggest jokes in film history and Kubrick, because the man's a technical genius, got away with it!

I'm also someone who is skeptical of the "deepness" of 2001: A Space Odyssey. Its themes are so deliberately cryptic, that you can't help but question whether the film really has anything to say at all. Now, it's certainly possible that the film is a brilliant and challenging work of cinematic art, but it's also possible that is a superficial con job. All I know for sure is that the movie's vagueness brings out the cynic in me. District 9 just suits me better, I guess.

I didn't love District 9, but it stomps all over 2001.

District 9 is a joke. 2001 is the pinnacle of human achievement. Plain and simple.

I'll go with 2001, since it's one of the most well-directed movies I've ever seen.

2001 is easily one of my top five movies of all time, but I do think District 9 may be the best science fiction film since.

D9 is the best sci-fi of recent memory, but 2001 is the greatest sci-fi of all time. No contest.