Godzilla vs. Gorgo

1 comments

0 comments

Gorgo is terrible. Make no mistake, this Irish rip-off of Godzilla seems to have the same budget of a Godzilla movie and fails to add anything new other than a new country to run rampant through. I can't even be bothered to remember how the film ends, nor do I want to waste the time to find out online. So why does it get the win over Godzilla 1998? Because it doesn't urinate all over the legacy of Godzilla. Let's be honest, the Godzilla films aren't great, most would have a hard time qualifying as good, yet they possess a certain charm to them. People love them for a reason. Godzilla 1998 adds a metric tonne of explosions and CGI, adds some big-name Hollywood actors (poor Jean Reno! I'm sure there's a direct link between this and The Pink Panther), and yet manages to sterilise the movie. Gorgo at least kept some of the charm. I'm sure in 10 years or so people will remember this with as much fondness as people seem to have for Red Dawn and the third and fourth Rocky movies, but until then, if you like Godzilla at all, it's probably best to just pretend this film never existed.