Schindler's List vs. Saving Private Ryan

27 comments

20 comments

Spielberg really made his mark on the 90's with these two films. The cinematography shown in each of these films is amazing, the use of color in Schindler's List and that steady cam D-Day landing in Saving Private Ryan. Both films are long but never drag, i can't say enough about either.

The one with the heavy handed symbolism wins!

Spielberg's finest up to date. Or at least, his finest based on reality. RYAN wins only because I wouldn't mind watching multiple tiems; LIST is even more shocking, magnificent as it is.

JRM
JRM

While both fine films, I could only watch Shindler's List once. And it's hard to call it "entertaining". So I'm gonna have to give it to Saving Private Ryan for that reason.

Schindler's List is the more raw, shocking, and better-acted film, IMO. Both are masterpieces.

Both of these movies would be better with sharks and dinosaurs in them.

Two movies that were emotionally wracking on me. I have to go with Schindler's List because the story feels more complete A to B. But I love both of these movies.

ear
ear

Saving Private Ryan is my honest choice.

e_e
e_e

Too easy.

I won't make many friends by saying this, but I could not make it through Schindler's List. I can take a lot when it comes to movies, but the relentless bleakness of Schindler's List was too much for me to handle. Saving Private Ryan, on the other hand, I watched from start to finish, meaning it wins by default.

I won't make many friends by saying this, but I could not make it through Schindler's List. I can take a lot when it comes to movies, but the relentless bleakness of Schindler's List was too much for me to handle. Saving Private Ryan, on the other hand, I watched from start to finish, meaning it wins by default.

This is a rare case where I didn't "enjoy" watching this film, but I needed to watch Schindler's List. It changed the way I looked at war, poltics and people. I think this is an important move to watch for anyone.

I feel Schindler's List is a better film. But I can watch Saving Private Ryan over and over, but don't feel like doing with Schindler's List...

Schindler's List because it had a more interesting storyline. Ryan had one good scene, and went all downhill from there

His 2 best imo.

They are both great movies, but i prefer Schindler's List. I guess Schindler's List is more effective n bringing emotions to the viewer.

Two fantastic pieces of cinema. But only one keeps coming back for multiple upon multiple viewings...

Seb
Seb

Ryan was good but Schindler is great. Schindlers list wins

Schindler's List clearly the winner. Though dont get me wrong Saving Private Ryan is still a superb film.

Saving Private Ryan here. Its entertaining and it makes you feel empathy without being to overly sentimental, which unfortunately Schindler's List suffers from.

Schindler's List is just amazing.

Schindler's List clearly.

Ralph Fiennes' portrayal of Amon Goeth has to be the best piece of acting I have ever seen.

Schindler's List is a masterpiece. I wasn't a huge fan of Saving Private Ryan.

Saving Private Ryan is more complete, with stronger development.

This really is the match up that had to happen. Such powerful films both.

Spielberg action, hmm...

Two Spielberg WW2 movies, both excellent, but I prefer Schindler's List. While Ryan a great opening and climax, and a lot of good shit in between, Schindler's is iconic and beautiful in ways I can't even begin to describe. It's amazing how Spielberg has matured sensibly over the years, from Jaws and Indy to these two masterpieces. Unlike Lucas, who can't seem to escape the 80's cliches he got famous for.

Schindler's List, no film has ever come close to such timeless perfection.

Two well-deserved Oscars for the greatest director. Both near perfect, but I can watch Saving Private Ryan over and over again.

SPR

They are both masterpieces, but Schindler's List is Spielberg's greatest movie ever.

IMPOSSIBLE!

Saving Private Ryan. It's #9 while Schindler is #10

On my list.

Ah, the Spielberg Showdown. A toughy. I love Schindler's List. It's so emotional and Spielberg's insistence to have it filmed in B&W was obviously the right choice. However, the beach landing scene at the beginning of Saving Private Ryan was so intense. Spielberg filmed that scene biased on 9 pictures taken on DDay on Omaha beach, and it put you, the viewer on the beach on DDay. I've talked to DDay vets that say they can't watch that scene because it's too real. So, I can't believe I'm doing this, but congrats Private Ryan, you win this time.

Saving Private Ryan is the better piece of entertainment.

Switching to Schindler`s List

Toughest dicision yet.This two movies are Speilbergs best IMO.Though Schindler's list has better all around performance but speilberg does a better job with saving pvt ryan .They are practically equal in my eyes.I will take saving private ryan but this is certainly close

Schindler's List. Spielberg's masterpiece is definitely Schindler's List.

Jurassic Park and Jaws > E.T. and Indiana Jones > Close Encounters and Private Ryan > Schindler and Catch Me If You Can > Hook and 1941 > Always. (Not all at all)

Both are masterpieces. I prefer SPR because it has more happening in the story. SL is basically depressing moment after depressing moment. SPR is like that but to a lesser extent; still enjoyable for me to watch.

Saving Private Ryan is, was, and probably always will be one of the most accurate war movies ever made.

After 40 passionate votes this match-up is nicely poised. For my money Spielberg's talents are better-suited to a combat film like Saving Private Ryan, where he deploys every molecule of his technical gifts and directs breathtaking cinematic set-pieces that place us in the moment of battle, in its horror and brutality, like no other film before or since. I was worried he'd get carried away with more sensitive material like Schindler's List, and to a degree my fears came true.

After 40 passionate votes this match-up is nicely poised. For my money Spielberg's talents are better-suited to a combat film like Saving Private Ryan, where he deploys every molecule of his technical strengths and directs breathtaking cinematic set-pieces that place us in the moment of battle, in its horror and brutality, like no other film before or since. I was worried he'd get carried away with more sensitive material like Schindler's List, and to a degree my fears came true.

There’s two types of people. Those who loved Schindler's List and those who loved SPR. For me, List wins pretty comfortably. Tearjerking, beautiful cinematography and brilliant performances. I dare anyone to watch it without feeling more attached to humanity! I find SPR overrated. It’s incredibly well made and has some really intense scenes BUT the pacing is incredibly uneven, the story isn’t that strong and the emotions feel forced. Schindler’s List inflicts the emotion on you through the characters and the tragedy but SPR seems like it has to tell you how to feel!

Saving Private Ryan is an epic WW2 film whereas Schindler's List is nothing but overrated. SPR by far

Both are technical masterpieces and Steven Spielberg's two best films. Saving Private Ryan has the slight edge due to higher entertainment and rewatch value but Schindler's List is objectively the better film.

Schindler's List by a considerable margin for me, Private Ryan gets a little oversentimental and drags a bit in parts.

Oh man this is why Steven Spielberg is so highly regarded. Both are masterpieces in every way. Saving Private Ryan is a powerful story about the horrors of war. Being one of those films leaving you thinking long after the film is over. But I have to give this to Schindler’s List. With some of the best Performances I’ve ever seen; possibly Spielberg’s best directing; and a 3 hour run time that wastes no time, exploring so much, it just has to win this one in my mind. Both are just watches however.

Schendliers list is wholesomely perfect.