Battle Royale vs. Saving Private Ryan

2 comments

1 comments

Here are perhaps the two of the most violent films I've seen. Was SPR glorifying the violence in a Mel Gibson kinda way? I can't say for sure, but it sort of felt that way. At least I know where Battle Royale stands.

Battle Royale contains one of the greatest incidental scenes ever (the chick on the info vid was peachy awesome). In all honesty if I were ever to be thrust into a maniacal struggle for life and death, I'd prefer it to be in a post-punk, anarchic, self-serving, random entertainment kinda way. I've no inclination to die for a block of land or some abstract ideal, right or wrong. Both are very, very satisfying movies though.

"... I'd prefer it to be in a post-punk, anarchic, self-serving, random entertainment kinda way. I've no inclination to die for a block of land or some abstract ideal, right or wrong. Both are very, very satisfying movies though." Gotta love Cleckley.

Saving Private Ryan's violence is more glorious and realistic, it sets the tone perfectly for its heart-wrenching story. Battle Royale is great, but I prefer the more grandiose SPR.