One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest vs. The Shawshank Redemption

13 comments

14 comments

Jesus, what a choice! Cuckoo's Nest will forever be a classic in my heart and it will live on as a near-perfect film, but I can't help but be moved every time I watch Shawshank and I gotta pick the latter.

Is it just me, or are these movies really similar? For example, (SPOILER ALERT) both of them are about a guy who goes somewhere he shouldn't be (mental hospital or prison) and becomes best friends with someone there. There is an unfair dictator taking care of them (the nurse or the warden). The main character rebels , and everybody thinks of him as a hero. One of the people commits suicide. Both movies are great movies that are heartwarming and sad. Hard choice.

Shawshank Redemption. Both are films which you find yourself constantly revisiting, but The Shawshank is just a better experience.

It certainly is hard. Two men who have to conform to live in a place where they're certainly not what it says on record. I think Shawshank barely slips past.

How the hell does this only have 4 comments, I thought were two of the films that are widely considered to be the greatest film of all time? While I think neither one comes close to that title they are both great movies, I'm going with Shawshank.

Cuckoo gets a little too weird and strung out at the end, whereas Shawshank's strongest hour is the ending. Similar protagonists, similar stories, similar everything, but I think Shawshank tells its story better. Nicholson's a better lead actor, but, for me, Shawshank does the most things better. Tough choice, though.

The Shawshank Redemption. It's more of a movie experience.

One flew over is hilarious and tragic but seems too claustrophobic and compacted within the sets but shawshank has better emotion.

Impressive matchup that shouldn't be nearly this lopsided.

cuckoos

The Shawshank Redemption is the better film. Both are classics, but Shawshank I feel is superior even if by only a little bit.

W0W both films are in my top 20 but I'm going to have to say shawshank

Shawshank on this one

70's Jack Nicholson. 'Nuff said.

OFOTCN

You just can't beat Nicholson

I take that back after re watching Cuckoo's Nest

If I had to pick one of these movies to be the only one I get to watch ever again in life I'd pick: The Shawshank Redemption

If I had to pick one of these movies to be the only movie I ever get to watch again, I'd pick: The Shawshank Redemption

This is really difficult. I guess it boils down to this: Do you prefer a happy ending or a sad one?

What a great match-up! Both are in my top 10 and probably won't be leaving any time soon. Shawshank for now.

Shawshank.

shawshank is miles behind cukoos

God damn, this is hard...

Shawshank is the better film. Better ensemble cast. Both films have identical premises. One just happens to take place in a prison. The other just happens to take place in a hospital. Shawshank is not a prison film any more than Cuckoo's Nest is a medical drama.

I've watched 4 movies starring Nicholson. Cuckoo's Nest is my least favorite, but it's still good enough to beats Shawshank.

Shawshank is one of those rare unbeatable films. Simply one of the absolute greatest of all time.

Shawshank Redemption.

ear
ear

Quadruple voting does not make Shawshank better. Cuckoo's Nest is the superior film.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest manages to be heartfelt and inspiring without being as sanguine and fairy tale-like in its story and presentation as Shawshank. The latter is enjoyable as a simple feel-good movie, but repeat viewings lessens its impact overtime as there isn't much for the brain to chew on upon watching it more than once. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest leaves you with much more to think about even as it leaves you with a feeling of triumph and hope, in a way Shawshank really doesn't.

I can't tell you how many times I've caught Shawshank on TV, but I almost always end up watching it again; I'm not drawn to Cuckoo's Nest the same way. Shawshank is my favorite adaptation of a Stephen King work.

SHAWSHANK by a huge margin. NOT EVEN CLOSE