One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest vs. The Shining

21 comments

24 comments

Will somebody please help me scoop my brains up off the floor. I need them in order to make this stupid decision. The Gods are clearly angry with me.

These kind of choices are the worst. Both brilliant movies but brilliant in a different way...

Jack on Jack? Come On!

Jack Nicholson's performance is more interesting in One Flew Over... I think The Shining as a whole, is better cinema.

Both of these movies are peaks of Jack's success one swept the Oscars (One Flew Over) and one didn't. You tell me which one to choose? One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest may be Jack's best performance but on the other hand you have one the best horror's against it. My vote goes for One Flew Over only by a little bit because I personally like the overall idea more in One Flew Over.

The Shining hacks my mind up like some bathroom door. Every time. Cuckoo's Nest rules too. Gut says Shining, so Shining it is!

This decision is heavy. I think the only reasonable standard of choosing is that of the general story, since both are so expertly made. And while The Shining is legend, I just like the emotions of One Flew Over more. Watching a guy turn into a maniac is not something you wanna watch all the time.

Two different Jack Nicholsons... But I think One Flew was better. But both are amazing... But One Flew wins...

Jack Nicholson is great in both these movies but I like One Flew over the Cuckoo's nest better overall.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest is no slouch, but The Shining is what I consider to be the best horror film of all time. And its basis is a superb novel by my favorite author, so there's that, though Stanley Kubrick does take liberties with the story, to be fair. All things considered, The Shining strikes me as being more iconic and, though Jack Nicholson is in prime form in each, he is a man possessed in The Shining, both figuratively and literally.

both great films with awesome jack nicholson performances but one flew over the cuckoo's nest resonates more with me.

I am not a big fan of horror movies but The Shining was a great psychological horror movie and it is a classic. But I really liked One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest because I liked all the crazy people that Jack Nicholson became friends with and the ending when Chief breaks free was awesome!

I go with the Scatman and the axe.

First saw it when I was 12....and I'll never forget it. The Shining just sticks...

The first time I watched One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was directly after I read the novel. Never before have a movie and novel gone hand in hand. Jack Nicholson brings us a man who would seem despicable and rebellious, but despite his demonstrative rebellion which makes us love him so, he is a savior. His character is defined by his love of humanity, his love of people, and that is why he stays.

The Shining by far!!!!!!!!!!

My two favorite Nicholson films. The Shining stick with you more after the first viewing though.

OFOTCN triumphs.....

One Flew because of its acting and overall concept but the Shining is awesome.

I finished watching The Shining for the first time yesterday, and it was...interesting. It's fun to analyze it as you're watching it. I still prefer One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest though; more story, more likable Nicholson, fun side characters, good humor and more entertaining.

Both excellent performances by Jack. I prefer his role in the Shining. These two movies are undoubtedly true classics, but the winner for me is The Shining, for it has one thing that wins the game, that One Flew doesn't have: Kubrick.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest for me.

The Shining- no doubt.

I don't understand why Jack didn't recieve an Oscar nod for his performance in The Shining, I thought his role was much better than One Flew Over The Cukoos Nest. None the less Jack does both characters very well but The Shining is witjout a doubt the best film in the horror genre.

The Shining for me aswell.

I think I prefer Jack's performance in OFOTCN than in The Shining, but I think Shining is the overall better movie.

Cuckoo's Nest wins for being more entertaining, better story, better acting, screenplay and direction.

Really hard decision, but The Shining wins.

Cuckoo's Nest is definitely the better film in my opinion.

Two of Nicholson's greats I'll take The Shining

easily Jacks two best films while One Flew has a more intense feel The Shining is deep and is my favorite Jack film it was hard but Shining wins.

I didn't like the Shining that much, but Cruckoo's is my favourite Nicholson film.

dher bara

Cuckoo > Shining

My Nicholson's favorite films. Shining

My mind says 'cuckoo's nest ' but my heart says 'the shining'

Jack's two best performances? Very possibly. My pick is The Shining.

The Shining all the way. Cuckoo is nothing special.

The Shining is really the only Nicholson one I cared for.

both feature great nicholson performances, but kubrick's direction is vastly superior to forman's

The Shining is certainly Nicholson's better movie performance here of a great horror story best novel, the shining certainly wins here...

ear
ear

I love Kubrick but Cuckoo wins this.

the shining and i prefer more jack torrance than randle mcmurphy

Two of my all time favourites. Gonna go with The Shining for now.

Stephen King’s adaptations are masterful and as the shining is the absolute masterpiece and it’s Nicholson's best film role.

You can't really compare these two films- one is a comedy-drama, and the other is a horror film. Having said all that, I'd prefer Cuckoo.

Technical Brilliance: The Shining Entertainment Value: Cuckoo's Nest Rewatchability: Cuckoo's Nest Acting: Cuckoo's Nest Writing: The Shining Directing: The Shining Cinematography: The Shining Music: The Shining Length: Cuckoo's Nest Pacing: Cuckoo's Nest Accessibility: Cuckoo's Nest Innovation/Influence: The Shining Story: The Shining Characters: Cuckoo's Nest Themes: Cuckoo's Nest Cuckoo's Nest wins out from my Criteria, but I still believe The Shining is a better film.