The Bourne Identity vs. The Bourne Supremacy

19 comments

19 comments

Lol!

3 > 2 > 1

Doug Liman's The Bourne Identity is a damn fine film. But both Paul Greengrass sequels kick it to the curb. (I actually got a little seasick the first time I saw Supremacy--was glad I hadn't seen it in the theater--but now, I don't even notice the shaky-cam; it really does put you in the action.) And for me, Supremacy even just edges out Ultimatum, probably mostly because of Karl Urban. (I love that guy.)

The first part of the trilogy is the best one, though all three are quite decent.

Neither's more than a slightly above average thriller. The Bourne Supremacy's just a little more above average than The Bourne Identity, though. It has all the action of the original, except with a better storyline backing it.

How can anyone call these movies "average"????

I like Identity just a bit more than Supremacy.

The first time I saw the Bourne Identity, I was stunned...stunned that Damon could be such a great action star, stunned that a spy film could be so simultaneously action-packed and realistic, stunned at the twists and turns. Which is why Supremacy was SUCH a let-down: no memorable action scenes or chases, a muddled plot I stopped caring about half way through, and that ANNOYING shaky-cam that has spread like the virus from 28 Days Later thru every decent action film. I get that it's SUPPOSED to "get you right in the action", but for me, all it did was make the action sequences confusing and sloppy. Identity >>> Supremacy.

Supremacy was the weak link in this trilogy. (Especially because they axed the female lead in Supremacy and kind of craped on the classic original by doing so).

JRM
JRM

Both are fine, fine films. But the insane car chase sequences, the emotional core and the surprises The Bourne Supremacy delivered made it just SLIGHTLY more superior, imo. The confession scene near the end was the clincher for me.

Without the first movie, it would be impossible to have a second. Bourne Identity for the win.

I prefer Identity to Supremacy. They're all great films, but the weakest of the three is Supremacy.

Hard choice. I liked the Supremacy story better though the shaky cam was overbearing. I can imagine headaches in the theater. I'll go with Identity though they are both very close.

I like the 1st the best.But i enjoyed the bourne supremacy more than identity the first time i saw it.They are both really great but i give identity credit since it was the first one and i just think it was done a little better.

The Bourne Identity was great. Supremacy on the other hand was nearly ruined by the unbearable shaky-cam and a muddled story that is way too hard to follow.

I found Supremacy to be the second strongest behind Ultimatum, so I'm choosing it here.

Very close in quality. To say either one is better would be a fair argument. Personally I liked the second one just a wee bit better, but they're both relatively decent films.

This is a close matchup but i was more entertained by Identity and the Chick getting killed 10 minutes into Supremacy pissed me off... Identity wins

The first is a better film but personally I have to say that I like Supremacy. The scenes are more memorable for me, such as the opening scene, the Moscow car chase and when Bourne confronts the daughter of the couple he killed. More powerful in my opinion.

Identity by a mile... killing the female lead at the beginning started things off on the wrong foot for Supremacy, even though I still think it's a great movie. Identity is just too good.

The Bourne Identity is more re watchable for me but I have to say, I like Supremacy better. It's the only of the Damon trilogy that has everything. The entire film is the most suspenseful of the three and the back story with Bourne being haunted by his killings in the past works very well alongside the main plot. This is the most emotional of the films and that's why it wins this comparison for me.

Identity for me though both are great. Supremacy feels like it lacks story a lot of the time.

I like both much more than Ultimatum (haven't seen Legacy yet, although I'm not banking on anything amazing). I would happily watch the two together, but I think I preferred Supremacy as its story felt much more personal and emotionally driven. Identity was a game-changing thriller (which has aged a bit admittedly), but Supremacy had a more energized plot, a much better performance from Damon (his gf getting killed off at the beginning worked in making me sympathetic towards him, especially after going through their on-screen chemistry in Identity) and more interesting plot twists. I'll agree that the shaky cam has its dramatic limits, but I found it less bothersome and more enhancing in Supremacy than Ultimatum, probably because Supremacy had a much better plot and more interesting characters. So while these are definitely the two best in the Bourne series, Supremacy wins for me.

Love both but supremacy had to much shaky came.Identity is better.

Supremacy beats Identity pretty easily for me.

no contest what so ever

Supremacy for me.

Supremacy could win this one

Supremacy

Ultimatum > Supremacy > Identity >>>>>>>>>>> Legacy

The original is the only good film in the trilogy. Supremacy and Ultimatum are both terrible.

I've seen Ultimatum and Legacy, and they are so bad, they are not on my rankings.

Enjoy both but I like Supremacy quite a bit more.

The first one in the trilogy is the best one in the trilogy.

Supremacy can wins this easly

Supremacy for now, Identity does not win this No.

I think I liked Identity but all three are great. And then there's 4... we don't talk about 4.

Identity wins easily.

I'm not too sure. I think I like these two over the 3rd. I'm going with Supremacy on this one. Bourne 5 will be epic!

I rewatched both of these tonight. Bourne Identity is one of the best thrillers of the last 20 years! It's a really great mystery that sets itself up well in the first half to give satisfying answers in the second. It also has an interesting structure and great characters. Maybe the acting is weak in parts and the writing could be tighter but still a film I highly recommended. Supremacy, meh. Its plot is pretty weak and everything about the Neski Files is kinda confusing. I also find a lot of the action pretty forgettable. Identity takes this with ease...

Supremacy comfortably. It has a great action scenes and a better pacing, it's very close due to both being great action movies with good villain. (Karl Urban and Conklin) but overall i'd give the edge to Supremacy due to the chase scene and the ending. Identity was a great movie also and it's the second best on the series.

Supremacy >>> Identity >> Ultimatum

Supremacy >>> Identity >> Ultimatum

I love both but Supremacy is better.