The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey vs. District 9

1 comments

8 comments

Perhaps we are getting to the stage where Peter Jackson would make a better Producer than a Director. I enjoyed the first Hobbit film, but it was nevertheless padded out and at times lacked focus (although I still maintain that the second film suffered from this even more). If he is going to continue directing, the man needs a strict editor to tell him when enough is enough, much like Quentin Tarantino. District 9 is one of my favourites and I am extremely grateful to PJ for backing Neil Blomkamp to make this. District 9 wins.

Y'all know how I feel about District 9 so I won't repeat myself too much, but I do still stand by what I've said in the past. The characters are unlikeable idiots, the film is a mishmash of ideas found in other films, the symbolism is as clear as shining a frickin' light in your face, the tone is all over the place (Is it supposed to be funny? Is it supposed to be serious? People pop like balloons and there's a frickin' Transformer shooting a pig, yet all this symbolism implies that we're not supposed to laugh. And is it a mockumentary? An action film? A drama?) and the film ends with a plotpoint which seemed like it came out of nowhere, and which was also way too convenient ("I found the keys!! I found 'em!"). But, hey, it was made on a shoestring budget and the effects look soooo cooooool! Impressive? Yes. Good movie? In my opinion, nope. I wasn't completely sold by the first Hobbit film, but I can at least say I enjoyed it.

District 9 for me. I have no problems with it, whereas I have many problems with the first Hobbit movie although I do still enjoy it quite a bit.

The first Hobbit film was largely useless. The whole film should've just been Bilbo's scene with Smeagle, as that was the only part of real value. And with this whole plot of the Hobbit book, I just have a "who cares?" mentality. Why do we really even care about what happens to Thorin and the dwarves? I feel the whole thing would have been a lot better if it was focused on Bilbo, Gandalf, the ring, and the stirring war. That's all that carries over anyway.

Wow Mystic! Didn't know you loathed District 9 like that. I loved it. I was highly disappointed with Unexpected Journey, maybe because I went in looking for an Expected journey!!! Look fellas, Peter Jackson just spoiled me with LOTR. Before LOTR, I didn't think it was possible to do a flawless trilogy, but Jackson sure pulled it off. When I saw Unexpected Journey, I was well aware that it would be different than LOTR theme wise. That's okay, but I didn't expect it to be so kiddie. It almost felt like Sesame Street compared to LOTR. Big letdown for me. Black Pearl wins.

^Don't you mean District 9 Nononsense? Also Mystic's dislike of D9 is pretty well documented, though to his credit it's pretty consistent with most detractors of the film, and I can see why the issues highlighted would bother people (and this is coming from someone who has the film in their top 10).

Yeah, I saved my comment in a word document because FlickChart seems to either have a bug or was under maintenance at the time. I came back and pasted my comment and mistakingly added that tidbit at the end about Black Pearl. Also, I sim

I like D9, but I don't think its as amazing as people say. An Unexpected Journey was for me, the perfect start to The Hobbit Trilogy. Is it on par with Lord of the Rings? No, but not much is in my book. I have very few problems with it and I'm of the minority opinion that its much better than The Desolation of Smaug. An Unexpected Journey wins.

district 9 . hobbit is no lord of the rings

I would rather watch District 9. I haven't seen it in years, but I used to love it. I've got no desires to re-watch any of the Hobbit movies unfortunately.