Fist of Legend vs. The Legend of Drunken Master

1 comments

1 comments

I often see both of these promoted as being among the best martial arts films ever made. If I had to base my decision on just the final battles in each movie, I'd to go with Legend Of The Drunken Master. The villain with the crazy legs was cool, and Jackie Chan's acrobatics were impressive. I actually prefer Drunken Master over Fist of Legend in most every way, now that I think about it.

Close call. Gonna give it to Li for kicking Siu Hou Chin's ass. Plus JC has better movies so I feel obliged to give Li just a lil something out of pity for his ouevre.

I've just recently re-watched these for the first time in a few years and there's no doubt about which film wins. I fondly remembered liking them both in middle/high school, but found Fist of Legend boring this time. The undercranking was more than noticeable, there were too many slow-mo/reaction shots during the fight scenes...I dunno, there was just something "off" about the flow. Drunken Master 2 is a fun ride the whole way through. Jackie's his usual self and Ken Lo is some kind of freak in the movie's finale. And just to be clear, I'm not one of those guys who has fun hating on movies that other people love. I wanted FoL to kick ass as much as I had remembered, but it didn't. :(

I tend to avoid anything from the genre made after the mid-80s, and I don't have much of an opinion on Jet Li, but Fist of Legend was a pleasant surprise for me. Pretty damn solid. It has the spirit of an oldschool kung-fu flick and the exploding glass/silly romantic flying leaves of a newer one. Close call, anyway.