Toy Story 2 vs. Monsters, Inc.

16 comments

16 comments

Ahh. The Pixar showdown! Toy Story 2 gets the nod

Toy Story over every Pixar film.

Ah, most people are gonna disagree with me on this, but I personally prefer Monsters Inc.

In my opinion, there are only five good sequels. The Godfather Part II, Terminator 2, The Lord of the Rings sequels, The Dark Knight, and this one Toy Story 2. I love Monsters Inc. but making a sequel this well isnt easy.

This is tough, because for me, these two are middle-of-the-road for Pixar. Meaning, they're fantastic movies, but they've made better, and a couple not quite as wonderful. It's almost a total coin toss, but I think I'll agree with mbrassil here: Toy Story 2 is actually a wonderful sequel; in some ways, I prefer it over the original, so I'll give it the nod here. For the record, my ranking of Pixar, best to worst: Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, WALL·E, Ratatouille, Toy Story 2, Monsters, Inc. & Toy Story (toss-up), Cars, A Bug's Life. (Haven't seen Up yet....)

JRM
JRM

I'm gonna have to go with Toy Story 2. Talk about taking a risk! But it paid off bigtime.

Having just watched The Pixar Story, I have a greater appreciation for what Pixar managed with Toy Story 2. For something so brilliant to come out of such a pressure cooker is astounding. Likewise, I appreciate what Pixar did with Monsters, Inc. as well. Rather than stick with conventional logic and stick with what got you where you are, Pixar let the reigns change hands within the company in the hopes that it'd keep things fresh. And it did just that. But when a movie manages to surpass a movie like Toy Story, that encompassed so much of my childhood and that I never envision myself tiring of, it is something special. Toy Story 2 does just that. Somehow, it improves upon the original. I hate to say it, but Monsters, Inc. is not even in the same league as Toy Story 2, or Toy Story for that matter.

I'll have to choose Monster's Inc.Pixar at it's cartooniest.I know that's not a word.

Toy Story 2 is a good movie, even considering the high standards most viewers have for films from Pixar. But for me, Monsters, Inc. is a perfect movie, and easily one of my favorites of all-time. You can tell that the design team had a blast with the world building and the result is a beautifully crafted world where monsters live, work, and play, not so different from humans. The voice work, Billy Crystal in particular, is outstanding and the computer animation still holds up remarkably at nine years and counting since the film was released. When it comes to this matchup, as the employees say in the Monsters, Inc. commercial, "I'm Monsters Incorporated!"

My two favorite PIXAR movies, and certainly the only two that can make me tear up. Love Toy Story 2 - possibly the best sequel ever (I don't count the LotR films as sequels, just continuations of the first) - but I'm going to have to go with M.I. That movie was just pure imagination. I hadn't planned to see it at all when it came out, but finally I was convinced to see it in the dollar theatre and it was jaw-droppingly amazing.

Visually, "Monsters, Inc." is more interesting...and that's it. Story-wise, it's not even close. Jessie's musical montage alone puts "Toy Story 2" over the top here.

THIS IS THE HARDEST DECISION EVER!

The Toy Story's are all very good in my eyes but I feel the second one was lacking a little bit compared to the other two. The addition of Jessie, Bullseye, and Stinky Pete was an interesting development on Woody's character. Also Rex's battle with Zerg was a great subplot but Toy Story 2 did not stand out to me as much as Monsters did. Monsters Inc has the great duo of Mike and Sully. Goodman and Crystal do a great job voice acting these characters giving them a real personality. The adorable little girl Boo is great and helps show Mike and Sully the truth about humans. Showing how laughter is more powerful than screams made the film a great feel-good-film. I cannot wait for the second Monsters Inc. film!!!

Monster's Inc. Nobody remembers Toy Story 2.

I remember Toy Story 2! And obviously if no one did, no one would be commenting here.

Monster's Inc.

In my opinion, Monsters, Inc. is merely a so-so movie. I'll take Toy Story 2 over it any day.

Toy Story 2, Monsters Inc, and UP are the only 3 Best Pixar movies in my opinion. So, Toy Story 2 wins this round.

Monsters Inc. is one of Pixar's best, but no Pixar movie beats any of the Toy Story movies in my book.

I used to be a MI fan but now, Toy Story 2 easily takes it. Its a perfect movie with far more entertaining characters, better story and more memorable...

Toy Story 2 is far better

After rewatching every Pixar film I can now say that Monsters Inc. is the only Pixar film that can beat any of the Toy Story movies.

Toy Story 2. Overall prefer it better.

Monsters. Inc is one of Pixar's best, even better than TS2.

Toy Story 2.

As much as I adore both films, Monsters Inc. wins this time, for being the first film I ever saw in theatres.

because if the Toy Aliens i go with TS2

oh fuck, monsters inc, but had it been any other toy story, MI would have lost

Top 5 Pixar: 1. Ts3 2. Monsters Inc 3. Toy story 4. Ts2 5. Up

Monster's Inc edges out TS....

Monsters Inc

monsters inc for me

MONSTERS INC

Monsters Inc is my favorite Pixar film, Disney film & animated film of all time. Monsters. Inc for me!

Definitely Toy Story 2

2 of my fave Pixar. A tough choice.