The Grey vs. Vampires

3 comments

0 comments

Awesome, awesome match up. I thought that The Grey was pretty damn underrated. And you gotta admit that Liam Neeson vs. a pack of hungry wolves makes for an interesting premise. Vampires was equally awesome, especially considering that James Woods was a pretty freakin' awesome protagonist. If I had to choose which one I would watch at any time, it would be Vampires. 1. It's John Carpenter and 2. It's freakin' James Woods.

The Grey easily, despite them deceiving people with the trailer. Vampires didn't work for me much unfortunately.

I gotta ask, but how did people find it deceiving?

Don't get me wrong, I loved the film. It's just that they showed the very ending in the trailer, you know, when he straps bottles to his hands. They just made it look like they would show this fight between Neeson and the wolf. I was also annoyed that I walked out of the cinema and they showed extra after the credits that helped tell you what happened. I come now to appreciate the ending. It doesn't matter for him if he lives, he's at peace with it. It was just that my initial response was 'is that it!'. It was the highlight of the trailer for me. Then to see that there wasn't anything else to it, that sucked. Because who wouldn't want to see Neeson versus a wolf?

Ah. Well I guess it just depends on how you look at the whole situation. Personally, I love ambiguity. I always like thinking about a film after I've just seen it and the ambiguity always heightens that...mood (for lack of a better term). It's interesting that they throw in the actual ending of The Grey after the credits, although I would have rather had it end after he charges at the big bad wolf, personally. I guess that ambiguity is the reason why a great amount of people hated the ending of No Country for Old Men. I bet a ton of people walked out of 'No Country' and asked "But, where was the big standoff between the Sheriff and Chigurh?" or "Did that old fart really just talk about his dream and then the film cut to black?" It's the kind of stuff that sort of angers me about the modern movie watching audience; they always expect everything to be end with a generic happy ending and for everything to be cleared up and stuff. Sure it's a cheap move for filmmakers to leave with you with an ambiguous ending like in No Country or The Grey, but lemme ask you this: Would you rather a filmmaker just give you everything at face value like the typical generic plot that you would forget a few days after, or would you rather have a plot that doesn't quite clear itself up at the end but ultimately leaves you with something to think about for weeks after? And as for false advertising for trailers, I've been there. As a kid, my family and I went to go see Stuart Little. The trailer had shown a bunch of funny things that were not in the actual film. My mom ended up getting pissed at all that and was angry at the film. Maybe false advertising is the new thing in trailers now? Some woman sued for false advertising with the film 'Drive' because it looked too much like a Fast & The Furious rip-off to her. That's crazy talk.

Yes, I like a movie that's has a ambiguous ending, but it depends on the movie whether I like it. Plus, I don't need a little ribbon wrapped around the end either. I could list a number of films I like that have endings that most people would hate because they aren't happy or are ambiguous (spoilers if I did though). But I like movies with happy endings also, nothing wrong with that if it's great filmmaking with a strong script. As I said, I can appreciate the ending of The Grey now. But they showed the ending in the trailer as something to look forward to, when no one knew that was the very end. My point is that they simply didn't need to put that in as something that would hype people up if that was all their was to it. Plus I think an ending against the wolf, if done right, doesn't have to be generic at all, and could leave you thinking about if for weeks also. But it's not necessary, the ending works as it is. My main point is this: Don't put the fucking ending in the fucking trailer.