Mad Max: Fury Road vs. Inside Out

3 comments

6 comments

Both are simplistic. Fury Road's an extended car chase. Inside Out is about a girl who moves then attempts to run away. But Inside Out had me forgetting its underlying simplicity because of its sheer inventiveness, emotion, and humor. Fury Road... well, it just bored me.

Even though I had the most fun with "Avengers: Age of Ultron," these are, so far, the two best films of the year. I disagree with Charyou_Tree. Neither of these is simplistic. They both only appear so on the surface, but have very complex machinery driving the film. Moreso in the case of "Inside Out," which actually deals with some very complex psychological themes. "Inside Out" has more of an emotional impact and deeper themes.

Inside Out. I really didn't care for Inside Out.

Inside Out. I really didn't care for Mad Max: Fury Road.

Both are great films, but my preference makes me pick 'Inside Out' way ahead of 'Mad Max: Fury Road'.

By "underlying simplicity," I meant beneath that "very complex machinery" are stories that, at their core, are still very simple. I won't deny that there's more going on in both. Just that Inside Out, for example, is a story about a girl struggling to cope with her whole life being uprooted. How it's realized is much deeper than that, but that's still what the story is at its core. However, its "complex machinery" made it so much more for me, whereas it didn't for Fury Road. With Fury Road, nothing else about the movie could successfully distract me from the fact that it was just a prolonged (and, in my opinion, painfully boring) chase sequence.

Two incredible movies go bang, but only one can walk away unscathed. Who will it be? Tune in next week for the answer (Spoiler alert: it's Fury Road).

Inside Out is vastly superior. Mad Max is one dimensional while Inside Out is gold.

I lean Inside out

Inside Out, Fury Road is garbage.