12 Years a Slave vs. Gravity

13 comments

9 comments

These are my two favorite films of 2013...so far. "12 Years a Slave" feels like the more complete package to me. It has a great set of characters, a great story, and great directing from Steve McQueen. "Gravity" is great to look at and has a fine performance from Sandra Bullock as well as a greater sense of "awe". "12 Years a Slave" may be brutal and difficult to sit through, but it is the greater film of the two. It's some powerful stuff.

I completely agree with everything that was said above. 12 Years A Slave is one of the greatest movies I have ever seen.

12 Years A Slave easily. I don't get all the Gravity hype

This must be the matchup the year. Two masterpieces that didn't disappoint. 12 Years a Slave takes it for now.

Love Gravity but 12 Years A Slave is one of the most powerful films I have even seen!

I thought 12 Years a Slave was okay, it was worth seeing Gravity in 3D. Gravity had impressive cinematography, overall I give 12 Years a Slave a 6/10 and Gravity an 8/10 but that's just my opinion.

JRM
JRM

I would agree with those who say these are the two best films of the year. I believe 12 Years a Slave is technically the best film of the year, but will I remember it several years from now like I believe I would with Gravity? Hard to say. I'll probably be going back and forth with this decision for a while.

The two best of 2013.

Wow, geez. I thought everyone was unanimous on Gravity being the best of the year, so much so that I feel the film is kinda overrated. Then I find myself liking it more than Slave. Irony.

Neither is perfect, but I'm pretty sure 12 Years a Slave is the best film released in 2013 that I've seen (...so far).

Hmmm, I've got to say that while both are very good, neither is the "best film ever made" they were hyped up to be. I think I was more impressed by Gravity's strong points, whilst 12 Years a Slave didn't really shock me or move me as much as I thought it would (if only because none of the barbarism portrayed in it struck me as being an exaggeration or out of kilter with what slaves experienced in those days, based on what I have read). Call it desensitization if you will. That said, Gravity pissed me off more because it sported some, at times, jarringly hokey writing, lacked any strong characterisation or character building (why was Sandra Bullock in space in the first place?) and wasn't nearly as profound as it was made out to be, though that could have something to do with all the critics pointing out and explaining every intricate detail of the symbolism several months before the film was released. 12 Years a Slave, on the other hand, was very well written, acted, directed, beautifully shot and by all accounts is a much more accomplished film in terms of "ticking all the boxes". True it has its flaws (Zimmer's score is low-key clone of Inception, and Brad Pitt's involvement as a cameo and producer seems less of a necessary role and more of an orchestrated plot for him to grab a free oscar), and it didn't affect me as much as it probably should have done, but it is a thoroughly respectable film which achieves what it sets out to do without compromising too much in other departments. 12 Years a Slave wins.

Seb
Seb

Neither are great, but 12 Yrs is stronger

Gravity is a good film, and it definitely deserves all the accolades it acquires along the way. But 12 Years a Slave is simply the better flick. It features some brilliant performances from the likes of Chiwetel Ejiofor, Michael Fassbender and Lupita... The subject matter is handled superbly and it doesn't just rely on a single protagonist to drag the film forward, like a lot of epical films do.

Gravity. Better action and effects while the other is a emotionally-manipulative guilt trip with some solid acting

Gravity will change special effects forever for the better, but 12 Years a Slave is the best film I have seen in 10 years.

Gravity is one of the most technologically advanced films ever made but 12 years a slave is the more moving of the films. Gravity deserved every award it recieved but 12 years a slave has more power than most films.

I am looking forward to watching 12 Years a Slave. It will have to be very good to best Gravity in my books. Gravity is one of the best films I have ever seen.

12 Years a Slave is a fine movie with a worthwhile story to tell, but I didn't find anything about it particularly revelatory. Also, it didn't truly resonate with me on an emotional level until the last 10-15 minutes. I hate to say it, but 12 Years a Slave really needed a Steven Spielberg at the helm to make it a truly great movie. Gravity, meanwhile, just feels more special to me as a film experience. While it's no crime at all that 12 Years a Slave took the Best Picture Oscar for 2013, I'd say Gravity deserved it more. It's the better film.

^Booooo, racist! ;) ;)

Gravity is visually awesome but 12 Years a Slave is much more powerful I'm going 12 Years a Slave

Two great movies l like both but 12 years a slave wins IMO

Gravity in a heartbeat...

12 year a slave is a really, really really baaaad film. Completely forgettable and predictable. Gravity is an infinitely better and original film

12 Years a Slave, no contest.

12 years a slave is the schindler's list of it's drama. It crushes Gravity