Hot Fuzz vs. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

2 comments

1 comments

I just like Narnia more

If it was Price Caspian I would choose Hot Fuzz, but I really enjoyed the first Narnia movie. I'd have to go with The Chronicles of Narnia on this one.

I used to really like the first Narnia film, but as time has gone on, it slipped in my estimations, mostly because of incredibly mixed quality child acting (the two younger actors were very good, but the older two pissed me off to no end) and a sense that this was basically Lord of the Rings-lite for younger children (dare I say that the books were similar in that respect?). This hurts the film more because it came out very shortly after the Lord of the Rings trilogy concluded, during a period in the mid-noughties where every "blockbuster" fantasy film tried to copy the style of Lord of the Rings with epic battles, cliched "badass" side characters stealing the limelight from comparatively bland, boring leads, New Zealand and enough CGI to crash a military supercomputer. It's still a decent effort, and a pretty good adaptation of the original books, but it's not as good as I used to think it was. Hot Fuzz by comparison has grown on me more as the years have gone by. I didn't really "get" Edgar Wright's style as a kid, but as I've grown older I've begun to realise just how funny, smart and multi-faceted his comedy can be (Scott Pilgrim not withstanding). Every time I've watched Hot Fuzz in the last year or so, it's climbed a little higher up the Flickchart, so Hot Fuzz takes the point here.