Paperman vs. Wreck-It Ralph

2 comments

6 comments

Funny that this would come up. I really liked Paperman and was a little disappointed with Ralph, but I would never put a short ahead of a feature unless I truley disliked it--and, while disappointed, I still lliked Ralph just fine.

It's almost unfair to rank a short film against a feature film. At any rate, Wreck-It Ralph wins over the predictable (but still cute) Paperman.

It's true that it's almost unfair to rank a short film against a feature film, but when the short film leaves you in tears at the end, it ends up leaving the main attraction in the dust. I was touched by Paperman (especially in 3D, where the format is used to its full potential). Wreck-It Ralph puts up a strong fight, but Paperman left it in the dust (and if you think I'm being unfair to the full-length movie, let make something clear. I have numerous short films in my Top 500, which means they can be just as great as the main attractions).

It's true that it's almost unfair to rank a short film against a feature film, but when the short film leaves you in tears at the end, it ends up leaving the main attraction in the dust. I was touched by Paperman (especially in 3D, where the format is used to its full potential). Wreck-It Ralph puts up a strong fight, but Paperman left it in the dust (and if you think I'm being unfair to the full-length movie, let make something clear. I have numerous short films in my Top 500, which means they can be just as great as the main attractions).

I'm happy to see Disney putting animated shorts before its films, and the classic look of Paperman is lovely, but the story really isn't anything to write home about. Ralph is just as gorgeous in its own extravagant way, and tells a much better tale of friendship and acceptance at the same time.

Paperman was a lovely short, and deserves the Oscar (the only other short I've seen is The Longest Daycare, which is good, but not nearly as beautiful, heartfelt or creative as Paperman). I really enjoyed Wreck-it Ralph, I don't understand why people have been dismissive of it; a wonderfully creative shout-out to the videogame industry in a way that other films that tried to do the same thing (e.g. the insufferable Scott Pilgrim) failed to do. Now granted, the story has been done to death a million times ("buddy-buddy adventure" meets "the ordinary guy wanting more out of life") and occasionally the humour goes a bit too low ("hero's 'doody'" - really?!), but for the most part it's very funny in its humour, very creative with it's animation and use of references, has a pretty watertight plot (from what I could tell at least, there were no gaping holes, which is surprising for something as long and multistranded as this in a kid's film), and some surprisingly well-developed and likeable characters. If I had kids, I'd definitely show it to them. As for the animated feature Oscar, the only other nominee I have seen is Brave. While I can't speak for Frankenweenie, ParaNorman or Pirates, Wreck-it Ralph was definitely bested Brave, and based on my limited judgement, deserves the Oscar. As for the comparison to Paperman, I loved both, but I can't really compare a short to a feature-length film, so I'll simply say that I enjoyed both of them very much, and leave them to their own devices.

*was definitely better than Brave

Feh. Paperman is *sweet* and all, but The Longest Daycare just fucks on it.

Wreck-it ralph wins. Although agreeing with everyone--this was quite unfair.