Casablanca vs. Vertigo

10 comments

17 comments

Now this is a hell of a match up, Casablanca is a great movie and it's a classic for a reason but I have to go with Vertigo here because I haven't been able to pick against it yet and even Casablanca is not going to change my mind.

No other films make romance more heartfelt and tender than these two, despite their obvious differences.

Vertigo was awesome, but I still have trouble ranking it since I just finished it. Casablanca gets my vote for now. I just love the atmosphere and the setting.

Yes, I agree with HitchFan, I think these are my two favorite romances, even though they're a bit twisted. Vertigo gets my vote--it gets better every time I watch it, it's such a great experience thanks to Hitchcock, Stewart and Herrmann. Though Casablance is also great (so many classic lines). There's a few plot holes here and there, but that doesn't really detract for me.

Vertigo, Casablanca wasn't for me.

Vertigo

Pretty close, but I'll go with Casablanca.

Please don't do this Flickchart. Two timeless classics about an awkward romance with a bitter ending. Bogart//Bergman vs. Stewart/Novak is about as good a matchup as you could ask for. In the end, Casablanca has more classic scenes and is the more memorable film. Don't get me wrong: Vertigo is very memorable as well, but Casablanca tops it. Now that was a difficult matchup!

Okay, Vertigo has quickly climbed up my chart after seeing it 3 times over the past week. It's done the unthinkable and arrived at #2. So, this is THE battle of my two favorite movies of all time! Goodness...

Casablanca is great, but Vertigo is even greater.

Can't pick over Casablanca here....

Casablanca and it's not even a competition. How Vertigo is considered a "romance" is beyond me. Jimmy Stewart's character was unbelievably unlikable and shallow.

Vertigo is way more powerful and memorable love the film way more sorry Bogie.

Both perfect romances but Casablanca may be the best movie ever made

Both classics but Vertigo is more intriguing more me and gets the vote

Vertigo may have more intrigue, but Casablanca gets the edge for being a classic with better hero, pacing, and dialogue.

Vertigo is more of my type of film and I still feel bad for taking it over Casablanca but I just love Vertigo like no other film of the era my #15 film actually!

Two of the best, I'd say. Casabalanca wins this top 20 matchup.

Vertigo gets the easy win here for me.

Man, this is a hard one! I think I liked Vertigo just a little more.

Wow, what a tough choice. Casablanca by a close call.

The best drama I've ever seen vs the best thriller I have ever seen! Hitchcock's masterpiece gets the slight edge because of the affect it had on me!

Both great, you can't go wrong either way. Vertigo is more complexe though.

I gotta say vertigo, over-all it's a better movie. It has a great use of color that casablanca obviously cannot have, and I like the obsession part about it. It has a twist, and still manages to be entertaining when you re-watch it because the twist is the basis for the entire second act which is just absolutely brilliant. The imagery and use of color in the kiss-scene at the hotel alone make this movie one of the best. So yeah, despite casablanca being a great movie vertigo is one of THE GREATEST

vertigo

Casablanca

Vertigo

ear
ear

Hitchcock brilliance wins here.

At this point, I'm just going to call it a tie

Both in my top 10 but Casablanca.

I'm sorry, but Vertigo is an unnecessarily long, confusing and weird film. That ending is especially ridiculous. I've got to go with Casablanca on this one.