2001: A Space Odyssey vs. Kill Bill Vol. 1

8 comments

5 comments

Another toughie. I gotta go with 2001 here though, it's a truly mesmerizing film.

2001 IS a mesmerizing film, but I give to the win to Tarantino.

give the* win to Tarantino.

I found 2001 to be too long and extremely boring, something that Kill Bill definitely wasn't.

Kill Bill wins, for now.

Super-tough choice. Kill Bill Vol.1 is the more entertaining film with the more compelling characters, but 2001 is a more stunning and more important film in terms of film history. Oh well, I'll have to go with Kill Bill this time around.

Are you all insane? 2001 crushes Kill Bill.

I'm glad someone agrees. As much of a blast Kill Bill is, it should never be giving 2001 a one-sided beating.

I'm on the Kill Bill train....

This is a tough one. Ironically I prefer Vol. 2 over Vol. 1 for it's grittier violence, slow-burning suspense and stronger character development. Yet ironically, I prefer the faster-paced films in 2001's genre. 2001 is easily the most impressive of the two, and as a technical achievement is an undeniable landmark film. I was wiling to forgive it for obscurity and slowness with this in mind (though I at least vaguely comprehended the thematic material) for the first two-thirds of the film, especially with the inclusion of HAL. But then the "Mass Effect 3 as done on Windows Movie Maker" ending came along, and the film completely lost me, both on an intellectual and appreciation level. I know everyone goes on about how deep, profound and amazing it is, and for the most part I agree, but it's also thoroughly alienating and uninviting to the viewer, and if I were less interested and willing to embrace film as an art form, I'd call it boring and pretentious (the ending at least). Kill Bill is not Tarantino's best film, but I'd still rather watch it (and Vol. 2) over 2001, so I'm jumping on the train with Egant and co.

If I had to pick one of these movies to be the only movie I ever get to watch again, I'd pick: 2001: A Space Odyssey

What the fuck am I gonna do?? Right now I like 2001 more but I gotta come back and really check if my shits together

Kill Bill is good but it could not hammer 2001.

ear
ear

2 O O I