2001: A Space Odyssey vs. Planet of the Apes

17 comments

7 comments

Two of the greatest Sci-Fi films and both the product of 1968. It's no secret that i am a huge Stanley Kubrick fan and feel that his movies are probably the best ever committed to film (while they aren't all my favorites) 2001 by far has more to say about humanity then any of his other films a subject shares with Planet of the Apes. Kubrick's visit was wider, some of the cuts in 2001 are just amazing and still unmatched in Sci-Fi.

I really do like both of these films but when it all comes down to it, "2001: A Space Odyssey" is easily handed the victory.

Planet of the Apes is cool, and has a great story, but Kubrick's masterpiece is one of the best science fiction movies ever made.

I think it's awesome that these two movies premiered just days apart. Hard to image them being the product of the same period in film history. Just goes to show you how far ahead of the curve Kubrick was. 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY is one of the few movies that actually becomes more enigmatic with time. Has anyone else heard of the Toynbee tiles? Google it to hear the craziest conspiracy theory of all time. No joke. And 2001 is featured prominently...

As much as i love Planet of the Apes, 2001 is much better

I love 2001,but I'm all for the Apes.

Why must I choose on two of my faviorate films

Two sci-fi classic of 1968

Quite the proverbial "Sophie's Choice" (which would lose to either) but, much as it pains me to pick, it's gotta be 2001. After all, Kubrick's has crazy apes AND psychotic computers.

The winner is without question 2001 for me. Planet of the Apes is a well above average popcorn movie, but 2001: A Space Odyssey is one of the greatest movies ever made. Seeing it for the first time was one of the most unique and indescribable experiences of my life.

The winner is without question 2001. Planet of the Apes is a well above average popcorn movie, but 2001: A Space Odyssey is one of the greatest movies ever made. Seeing it for the first time was one of the most unique and indescribable experiences of my life.

In my opinion, 2001: A Space Odyssey would have benefited from a little of that "popcorn movie" sizzle that Planet of the Apes had.

Caesar. Is. Home. Going with the best sci-fi flick of '68.

Yeah, I know that line is from Rise.

not close.

Both from 1968, both Sci-Fi and both with a lot of monkeys. Planet of the Apes.

I'm gonna go 2001....but it's a close, tough call.

Love Planet of the Apes, but we're talking 2001 here.

2001 with ease

Two icons here. 2001 is the winner, but the original Planet of the Apes is great as well. This matchup begs the question, "Where would sci-fi be without the year 1968?" The answer: Probably dead and extinct.

I'm going with Planet of the Apes altough 2001 is a piece of art.

2001: A Space Odyssey.

Planet of the Apes is a really good movie, but 2001 is amazing.

Planet of the Apes is obviously a better movie, and I doubt anyone that's going otherwise really liked the crap out of 2001. Seriously, its message was pure crap.

I found Planet of the Apes to be a little too on the nose. 2001 wins pretty easily.