2001: A Space Odyssey vs. The Shining

20 comments

33 comments

Ligeti v Penderecki ~Ligeti .: Penderecki

Heeeeere's Logic... WHICH IS A LOGICAL FLAW. But seriously, 2001 would have been better had they shown HAL's record collection, only to reveal that he owned the soundtrack to A Clockwork Orange.

2001 would've been better had HAL simply been the soundtrack to A Clockwork Orange.

2001: A Space Odyssey is a wonderful entry into the science fiction genre, but The Shining reigns supreme in the horror genre as far as I'm concerned. The Shining by a landslide.

Close match-up for me in that I really don't think either of them nearly lives up to their reputations. 2001 has a very slow first hour that made me struggle to remain conscious, and The Shining failed to make me care what happened to this family. They're both less than the sum of their collective setpieces. At least The Shining didn't have pretentions of being anything other than an entertainment, and for that I'll give it the nod, because it was a more entertaining experience.

2001 is the best genre movie ever made. Kubrick tried to repeat the pattern but he failed with rather less than stellar source material than Clarke. 2001 is a very demanding film and Shining is not demanding at all and Nicholson is crazy from the start. It just doesn't work despite some truly terrifying moments.

Wow.. This is the best of the best from Stanley Kubrick and it's not even close I am willing to say that both of these movies are the best of their respective genre, and both have tremendous atmosphere. "2001" wins it for me though, maybe because I like sci-fi better than horror.

ear
ear

Sci-fi wins out but I love them both.

The Shining barely makes the mark.

Jack slices and dices HAL on this one...

both so boring...

The Shining for me. I enjoy horror movies so it already swaying more one way. I didn't enjoy the first half of 2001 Sure, many people would say that I don't like slow movies, however some of my favourite movies have a slow burn to the climax. It just doesn't hold my interest. I understand why people would like it with so many famous shots. I own both but I would watch the shining 5 times before I would watch 2001.

2001 by a mile. It was better done.

The Shining by miles and miles. It's more engaging and plus it has Jack. Agreed with you shane24. I also own both these films but I can watch The Shining again and again. 2001 is always a pain to sit through.

Love 2001 but I find it overrated compared to The Shining. 2001 doesn't hold up for me while The Shining never fails to grab my attention.

Definitely with rob on this one. I give each of them five stars, but 2001 is on an entirely different level than The Shining.

both movies from the master stanley kubrick, one a masterpiece and groundbreaking film of sci fi action, the other a major adaption of a hit book and famous horror story, i love both very much in there own way, but for me i choos the shining, because i have seen it many times and it still gives the same thrill, the same comes from2001 but just the acting by jack nicholsen in itself makes the movie amazing

2001 folks.

i don't like Shining that much.

The Shining had a hint of overacting, so I'm going with 2001.

Ouch. The Shining beats out 2001 by the narrowest of margins.

The Shining for me.

2001 should be leading by twice as many votes.

The Shining

The Shining wins this by 2001 lightyears. Not a fan of 2001, sorry.

I'm a fan of 2001 a Space Odyssey, but the Shining still does win by 2001 lightyears

I switch to 2001

I do love The Shining, but 2001 easily wins as it is the greatest Kubrick film.

Two films from the great Kubrick himself but it has to be The Shining for me

The Shining is a haunted film, 2001 is adventure space

2001 is magnificent, but The Shining is a perfect masterpiece in every way.

Shining by far

Shining by by a year-light.

My two favorite Kubricks. Gotta be 2001 for me.

So, I watched these two back-to-back last night, and I started comparing them. I would probably consider 2001 to be a perfect film if the 'Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite' sequence was shortened by about 3-5 minutes. While 2001 has some scenes that drag, The Shining doesn't really have any scenes that do. Overall, I'd say 2001 is technically better and is the more important film, but The Shining is much more enjoyable. The Shining wins out for now, though both are currently in my top 10.

2001 is to The Shining as quantum mechanics is to classical mechanics. The shining is a simple study in psychology, while 2001 is a philosophical/existential/exploration film. The Shining really fails in comparison on all levels. However, when Kubrick made The Shining he was so bored with film making he riddled the film with Easter eggs, happy hunting...

80% of your comment was part of the documentary "Room 237", haha. Actually, The Shining is to 2001, what The Godfather is to Plan 9 from Outer Space.

Ahaaha, what TommyDoyle said.

Yes you are right, TommyDoyle78, I did acquire that knowledge from Room 237, but 80% of my comment coming from that documentary is an exaggeration. Actually, at least 66% of my comment is from analysis of both films. Though, you are entitled to your own opinion.

Kubrick ' masterpieces 2001 and The Shining. The Shining is more enjoyable but 2001 might just be the better film.

The Shining, to me, is the best Kubrick film.

Imagine if Stanley Kubrick got together with Genesis while Peter Gabriel was still the lead singer to make a film. It could've been the most artistic and thought provoking film of all time with the best soundtrack that's ever been composed! I can't be the only person who wants to see Supper's Ready in the form of a movie, can I?

lud
lud

Odyssey hands down..

2001 has some good quality direction, nonverbal narrative style (minimal dialogues), stunning cinematography & visual effects and haunting music it is regarded as one of the greatest films of all time. It has been discussed in great deal for decades, while the Shining is a pretty the best good incipient madness spectral murder and supernatural horror haunting film, but 2001 is better taking perfect quality better version here...

2001 has some good quality direction, nonverbal narrative style (minimal dialogues), stunning cinematography & visual effects and haunting music it is regarded as one of the greatest films of all time. It has been discussed in great deal for decades, while the Shining is a pretty the best good incipient madness spectral murder and supernatural horror haunting film, but 2001 is better taking perfect quality better version here...

In my opinion 2001: A Space Odyssey is always Kubrick's best film of all time because it's much good stunning watchable conclusion, as a result defined his later career, and allowed him to make his last five films in his own unorthodox, obsessive, and unimpeded way. While it’s fun to debate which film is Kubrick’s best, this was the one that defined him.

In my opinion 2001: A Space Odyssey is always Kubrick's best film of all time because it's much good stunning watchable conclusion, as a result defined his later career, and allowed him to make his last five films in his own unorthodox, obsessive, and unimpeded way. While it’s fun to debate which film is Kubrick’s best, this was the one that defined him.

ear
ear

2 O O l

Kubrick was undoubtedly one of the best artists in the history of cinema, but this fact says more about the film medium than it does about Kubrick, lol. Throughout his career Kubrick wanted to be recognized as one of the supreme artists in the history of civilization, on par with Shakespeare, Beethoven, Leonardo da Vinci, when all he ever did was take the works of people with more fecund imaginations, and present them in the most pretentious, ponderous, indulgent, pseudo-intellectual manner possible. All of this is evident in his use of classical music, poetry (white man's burden), paintings (those endless decorations in the background), literature, and in his cute remarks like "imagine if da Vinci had to explain Mona Lisa – that's why 2001 deserves no explanation from me," "people all over are recognizing Clockwork Orange as an important work of art", "always remember the Nazis, for they are proof that high culture and morality are not inter-linked." It appears Kubrick had heard of the Nazis but not the ancient Greeks. Moving on, even his followers love analyzing his insecure films that are constipated with "hidden" meanings and metaphors (Did you know the password in Eyes Wide Shut, Fidelio, was the name of Beethoven's opera?). The Zionist media's role in perpetuating the Kubrick myth is some first-grade marketing, and we have all watched interviews of media-owned directors/actors stating how they didn't love 2001 on first viewing, only to realize its enormous genius much, much later. The list of exaggerations is long and impressive: Kubrick was a perfectionist who did one million takes, Kubrick was a master Jedi-level chess player, Kubrick was a speed reader who stumbled upon The Shining while devouring novels by the hour, Kubrick was the real author of the Bible (okay that last one may have been a joke, but who knows?). It's all a sad farce, all propaganda bullshit, for when your own vision as an artist is as narrow as Kubrick's, all you can do is take a popular novel and turn it into an over-budget film, shot at least two years behind schedule. I'll end this rant with a most apt analogy: If Shakespeare, Homer and Mozart were in the 'building monuments' business, Kubrick's business was interior decoration.

The greatest film of all time vs. My favorite film ever made. The best science fiction film vs.The best horror film. 2001 is more technically brilliant, more influential/innovative, better directed, better written, better cinematography, better musical composition, better themes. The Shining is more entertaining, more rewatchable, more accessible, better acted, better paced, better lengthen, better story, better characters. The Shining wins 8-7 against Space Odyssey. Both of these films are number one and two on my flickchart so this is incredibly difficult. 2001: A Space Odyssey is a better film, but I love The Shining more. The reason I have 2001 at number one and The Shining at number two is because Space Odyssey is the grand father of science fiction.

Love The Shining, but 2001 is Kubrick's masterpiece.

Damn. The shining in a close one.

i choose the not boring one

I think 2001 is better but the only bad thing I didn’t like was the dialogue. Both are still good in their own way.

I think both are amazing, in fact too amazing. The movies are way too different to be compared and I enjoy them in my own right.

The shining is basically a perfect movie but I much prefer 2001